The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have been looking at the cichlid group julidochromis. Can I keep one of the smaller types in a twenty gallon long tank? I have read on a few websites that I could.How many should I start with to get a breeding pair?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
As with most pair-bonders, start with six and remove the extras when a pair is formed. Unfortunately, knowing julies, the non-paired individuals may be killed before then.

And yes, a pair of one of the smaller species - NOT big ones like most Marlieri morphs - would work in that tank, and you may even be able to keep shell dwellers with them if you had rocks on half of the tank, and shells on the other. Just keep an eye on them...I just learned the hard way last night that even species said to normally work in a given setup may throw a violent individual that takes delight in killing his/her tank mates.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So they will work assuming I don't get a super mean fish lol.
I need to start with six, what do I need in the tank rocks? Any advice on what to do would be awesome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I kept a 29 gallon (same dimensions as a 20 long but higher) with two Julidochromis Dickfeldi and 4 neo. lamprologus. They did great and the julies bred for me. I basically seperated the two species with a big ball of java moss. All was good, but then i rushed a water change and moved around the julie's rocks. Whoops. The female killed the male when re-establishing territory. So IME, Julidochromis, atleast dickfeldi, dont form strong pair bonds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts