The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently set up my 20 long for a medium tech tank to maybe eventually a high tech. It's been cycling for about two weeks now.

Light: two hanging dome shop lights with 10 watt CFLs on 6 hrs a day, 3 on 2 off 3 on. I will be getting a planted plus 24/7 for it within the next month or so, so the shop lights are temporary.

Substrate: regular ole playground rock. I use it because my local nursery center sells a 5 gallon bucket for $3

Filters: aquaclear 20 and aqua tech 15

Fish: none at the moment but I'm thinking a pair of gbr, 8-10 neons, 5 panda Cories and 5 ottos

Ferts: liquid ei dosing from nilocg aquatics and seachem root tabs

Co2: stupid fluval cartridges (what I could afford at the time). My plan is to get an aquatek regulator with solenoid hooked to a paintball tank.

Aquascape: the picture I post shows the tank empty besides an anubias I threw in there for the hell of it and a Amazon sword that I'm trying to bring back to life.
The plan is to put a piece of driftwood I have (currently soaking) as a center piece at the back of the tank with a sword on either side of the driftwood. And I don't know what I'll do after that. I have a tall anubias (can't remember the name), an Indian red sword that I can put in there for sure but don't know where I'll put them.

The driftwood should be in there in the next few days and I'll post another pic

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Added the driftwood and bubbler today and got an aqueon glass top. Still early but I'm liking how it's coming along. My plan still to put an Amazon sword to the left and right side of the driftwood, tying off some anubias to the driftwood leaving the middle of the tank open. I guess I might throw my Indian red sword and my anubias hastifolia in the center. Again I'm only using these plants because they are what I pulled out of my ten gallon. I open to suggestions on plants and where to put them. I would like to grow some tall skinny plants, some sort of carpeting plant and have at least one nice red plant.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bought some plants from my lfs today. One on the left is BACOPA CAROLINIANA, on the right is rotala indica and upfront in the middle is micranethum. My plan is to do some tall stuff in the corners coming down at an angle towards the driftwood.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I think your root feeding plants will struggle with just play ground gravel. Play ground gravel is inert and will supply no food for your plants. Might be alright with stem plants but sword and crypts and other heavy root feeders will struggle. This is just my opinion so confirm with multiple sources.

Edit: I did not see the part about the root tabs. Even still I think you would benefit from a nutritious sub. I have never tried to grow plants with just root tabs so I am speaking with no previous experience.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'd suggest finding a sturdy piece of plywood to put under the tank and support the tanks entire bottom.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think your root feeding plants will struggle with just play ground gravel. Play ground gravel is inert and will supply no food for your plants. Might be alright with stem plants but sword and crypts and other heavy root feeders will struggle. This is just my opinion so confirm with multiple sources.

Edit: I did not see the part about the root tabs. Even still I think you would benefit from a nutritious sub. I have never tried to grow plants with just root tabs so I am speaking with no previous experience.
I grew swords in my ten gallon with the same setup and I had to trim once a week. But I get what your saying. If I struggle with it then I can always add some fluorite or something

I'd suggest finding a sturdy piece of plywood to put under the tank and support the tanks entire bottom.
I can see why you can think that but I made the stand myself and if you seen the stand in person you would realize it's very sturdy. I feel more comfortable with it then I do with the stand that came with my 55

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my finnex 24/7 today. Very cool light and I like it so far. Leaving it on a dimmed mode until I get real co2 setup. So far my plants aren't doing great but they are alive. Hoping the new light will help them

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:
Been running the finnex on 24/7 mode for a few weeks now. Have a little hair algae but nothing crazy. Have been starting to get a little growth from my bacopa carolinania and have been getting quite a bit from my rotala. Also picked up 2 hoplo catfish today. They caught my eye at the store today and googled them and i think they will be a good addition. Peaceful and can be housed single or in groups

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts