The Planted Tank Forum banner

J's 20gal - GBR Tank

9K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  uptown 
#1 · (Edited)
When I was a freshman in college, I bought a 20 gal xtra high and of all things put two red-bellied Pacu in it. I had no idea at the time what Pacu were or that they were considered "tankbusters" due to their ability to get gigantic in no time. Of course, they got way too big, destroyed all the plastic plants, the thermometer, and constantly jumped and smacked the top of the tank, nearly jumping out on numerous occaisions. I sold them both back to the LFS and got discouraged. A close friend needed a cheering up, and I got tired of the tank, so I gave her the tank and stand.

Years later, I missed that tank, so I purchased another, brand new with a stand. For a while I tried everything from puffers to guppies, to plecos and never settled on anything I truly liked. At one time I had nothing but Bamboo Shrimp in the tank...

I planted the tank with amazon swords and java moss and left it that way for quite some time. I added some angelfish, my favorites, and hoped to begin a natural pairing tank to begin breeding angels.

Sure enough, those angels began pairing and I moved them to one of my larger tanks. This tank got neglected for quite some time. My angels began breeding in my other tanks, and I began using this tank as a grow tank for the best of the fry, which is where it stands now with some angels from a hatch nearly 6 months ago. I hadnt paid any attention to the plants or algae, only feeding the angels daily.

A few weeks ago, the light (power compact) stopped working. Some folks on this site recommended I call Catalina Aquarium to have the fixture repaired or replaced. I did, and the planted tank bug bit again. Now I'm head over heels and have spent over $1000 in the past week upgrading the lighting on all my tanks, filtration, and working to "rebuild" each of the tanks. Since this tank was where the inspiration began, I figured I would start my journals with this one. Enjoy, and please feel free to comment and suggest ideas. All opinions are welcomed!!

Here we go...

Tank: 20 Gal Xtra High
Filtration: Eheim 2236, Powerhead 201 for circulation (20gph)
Lighting: Custom Compact Flourescent - Dual 39watt 6500K bulbs (built by Catalina Aquarium)
Heater: Stealth 200 watt
Substrate: Black & Natural gravel
Hardscape: Store-bought driftwood
Ferts: Flourish Excel, Flourish Iron, Flourish tabs, Flourish liquid

Flora: Amazon Sword, Anubias Nana, Java Moss

Fauna CRS, RCS, whiptail pleco

Future plans include a trimming, a thorough glass cleaning, some RCS & CRS shrimp, relocation of the angels to a new tank, some new filtration, some new plants, and possibly some C02 either DIY or pro. Plans are for this to become a dedicated shrimp tank and the occasional grow tank for angel fry. STAY TUNED!!

J

See less See more
#3 ·
I received my CRS in the mail yesterday (thanks again Moe!) And after putting them in this tank, I've decided to make it a dedicated shrimp tank. In all these years of keeping fish, I've never been as entertained as I am to watch these little guys go nuts all over the tank.

Here they are right after I took them out of the shipping box

They are a little pale in this shot, but REALLY colored up once they got used to the temp and the new tank water. I don't have a great photo of them in the tank, but they look amazing.

I cleaned up the runners from the sword and moved the angels and a couple black tetras to my 38g tank. I replanted the anubias and scraped the glass before putting the shrimp in the tank to get acclimated. (I gotta work on my photo skills. I just noticed my toe in the bottom of the photo.)

While they were getting settled, I removed the filter inflow tube and cleaned it.

Before

After

I took some pantyhose and zip-tied it over the inflow tube for the shrimp.

I did the same with the intake on the powerhead.

This is the tank as it sits now.

The water is a little cloudy from agitating all the gravel last night, but the shrimp are loving that. I still need to hook up my Eheim canister filter I just got (thanks Justlikeapill!). I also have an order of red cherry shrimp that should arrive very soon. I plan on looking into a smaller scale CO2 system for this tank... maybe a paintball tank setup. I don't see the need to spend a ton of $$$ on CO2 for this tank. That sword grows like crazy on its own. I'd rather have a moderate scape and just enjoy my new little shrimp friends doing their thing.

On a separate note, are there any photo professionals on here, or can someone point me in a direction to get some tips to photograph these tanks? I'm using a Nikon D80. I'm just not sure what setting is best, and it seems all my photos come out very yellowish. I'd love to get some tips and help if anyone has the time.

More photos when I get the canister filter installed and add the new shrimp!

J

#16 ·
I'm using a Nikon D80. I'm just not sure what setting is best, and it seems all my photos come out very yellowish.
According to Ken Rockwell, the D80 has a much warmer color balance. See his white balance section for more detail.

Tank is doing well, only one issue is that a lot of the sediment that I stirred around when trimming it is getting stuck to the pantyhose on both the filter intake and the intake on the powerhead. The flow has dropped drastically and I'm having to take them out and clean them every other day or two. I put the pantyhose on them to make them shrimp safe, but is there another option that wont clog, but still offer good flow?
You may want to try the Fluval Edge pre-filter sponge.

#7 ·
Got some RCS from epicfish this weekend.

Also set up my Eheim 2236 I purchased from ClintonSParsons.

This tank isn't done by any means, but I intend on keeping it fairly low tech. Plans are to use this as a breeding tank for CRS and RCS to populate my other tanks and otherwise entertain me as I fall asleep at night. I plan on building a custom stand for it, and adding some more CRS in the near future. Equipment wise, I'm done.

J

#8 ·
Yesterday was like Xmas at my house!!

My dog, Bella, inspecting all the new shipments...

I received about 30 RCS from Neil (fishsandwitch) and another 20 CRS from Moe! They all look great! 3 or 4 of the RCS are very big and berried females.

I also received some ADA Bee Shrimp food...

These little guys LOVE this stuff!!

That picture was taken less than 2 minutes after I dropped it in and they are all over it.

Tank is doing well, only one issue is that a lot of the sediment that I stirred around when trimming it is getting stuck to the pantyhose on both the filter intake and the intake on the powerhead. The flow has dropped drastically and I'm having to take them out and clean them every other day or two. I put the pantyhose on them to make them shrimp safe, but is there another option that wont clog, but still offer good flow? I dont want to burn up the filters or not get decent filtration.

J

#12 ·
These little guys LOVE this stuff!!

That picture was taken less than 2 minutes after I dropped it in and they are all over it.

Tank is doing well, only one issue is that a lot of the sediment that I stirred around when trimming it is getting stuck to the pantyhose on both the filter intake and the intake on the powerhead. The flow has dropped drastically and I'm having to take them out and clean them every other day or two. I put the pantyhose on them to make them shrimp safe, but is there another option that wont clog, but still offer good flow? I dont want to burn up the filters or not get decent filtration.

J
NIce tank !
I used to think per shrimps natural environment that they like shallow puddles along the river.
Do, they do well in high tanks ? I was actually looking out for a long low hight tank for my shrimps.
BTW, have heard alot about the ADA shrimp food, its like a shrimp magnet, planning to get some soon :)

Opps, just remembered, i got the timmers :) was supprised to get in so early ,thanks !
havent tried it yet though

#9 ·
Snapped some photos tonight of my CRS and RCS.

Oh. Hi. Didn't see you there.

These guys have REALLY colored up in the past couple of days.

Gotta have some java moss to hang out in

Not sure what it is about this piece of driftwood, but they LOVE this thing

Looks like happy hour at a local bar

My whiptail pleco hanging out, not doing much as per usual

J

#15 ·
Mines about the same. In the summer time some of my shrimp tanks get in the low 80's I had a two day power outage last summer, the inside temp of my house was
over 90. I never lost any crs!
As long as the temp changes slow don't worry about it.

#17 ·
I've been feeding a mixture of ADA Bee Shrimp food, Ken's Spirulina w/ calcium and Shirakura and as you can see, they seem to be working well...

I noticed my very first baby RCS today as well! Man these little guys are tiny!!

Some of my guys fold up all funny sometimes and act as though they are cleaning their shells/tails. Does anybody else see their shrimp doing this?

Also got some new friends from Donna (greenisgood). Some AWESOME new Blue Tigers!!!

I listened to some recommendations and removed the glass lid and put the light on legs. This seems to be helping keep the tank temperatures better regulated. Here's the FTS (shoulda cleaned the glass first!)....

I've noticed some browning on the sword's leaves, so I've ordered a Root Medics kit. I don't think I am ready to go co2 yet... I'm very nervous about gassing my shrimp, so I'll hold off as long as I possibly can. If I have to cave in eventually I may go with a paintball setup.

J

#20 ·
Some of my guys fold up all funny sometimes and act as though they are cleaning their shells/tails. Does anybody else see their shrimp doing this?
I catch my shrimp doing the same now and then, I don't know if its a cleaning process or prepwork towards a molting.

#19 ·
Yeah, Donna told me. I'm not really worried about it. I'm not in the hobby for breeding. I have another tank I can set up if I ever wanted to go that route. I may eventually sell off some of the offspring from this tank, but most likely I will just toss them in one of my other tanks for something different.

If I ever do sell the offspring, I plan on making it very clear that both the CRS and the OEBTs were housed together and therefore the offspring are not 100% pure and discount the prices. For someone like me who just wants some cool shrimp to look at, that would be a pretty decent deal.

J

#21 ·
Began dosing RootMedics liquid and substrate caps about a week ago. Can already tell in the new leaves of the amazon sword that it is doing well. This tank has always seemed to grow java moss like crazy too.

All my shrimp are still going strong. Everywhere I look is a berried female or some tiny new RCS. These guys are definately the rabbits of the aquarium world!

Some shrimp shots:

Oh. Hi!

The trio of inhabitants

Food ball

One of the best photos ever of one of my OEBTs. This little guy actually has some hints of red to him too

FTS

I've contemplated scraping the algae off the back glass, but I figured I'd leave it for my ottos, whiptail cat and shrimp to take care of. Doesn't really bother me and its a good food source.

J

#24 ·
For the FTS I use my Nikon D80 with a 35mm lens. I haven't found a good close-up lens for it yet, so for most of the shrimp shots I use the macro setting on my Canon Elph. The camera is at least 4 or 5 years old, but it takes some pretty good close-up shots. I think its only like a 5 or 6 megapixel camera. Its a shame my 10 megapixel Nikon can't shoot like that, but I think thats more because of the lens than anything else.

J

#27 ·
Been a while since I posted. Not much has changed with the actual tank itself, but I have a few new additions since Xmas.

First off, my stepdad built me a stand for my birthday/Xmas. I could have gone and gotten something store bought, but it meant more to me for him to build something, and he loves working with wood. I had him stain it very dark and then distress it a bit to look sort of antique. By far my favorite gift from anyone this year.

I also purchased a Nikon D7000 and a 105mm macro lens, so I will be taking some new photos of this tank and shrimp very soon! Stay tuned!!

J

#28 ·
Great looking stand! My husband and I work with wood (stripping, sanding and staining) so I understand what you're talking about when you said, "it meant something more to build" That will look great with your tank. Can't wait to see the set up.

#31 ·
Its sort of an odd size/shape. It really needs tall plants to pull it off well or the right piece of driftwood. I've had everything from guppies to killifish in this tank as well as raised my angels from fry in this tank. With only 20 gallons, the angels can rapidly outgrow it even though the height is good for their fin development. Shrimp were just the next thing I wanted to try.

J

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.