The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my planted nano that I started up around the begining of April. It's a big learning experience and i'm glad I started small. I've been keeping cichlids for over a year and have had great success (african and new world). This is my little fix until I can get a nano reef going as well.

I can't decide what I want to do for the final aquascape, so I haven't added the sand on top of the Florite yet. There is a good mix of it down low, but nothing on top yet.

First Planted: No co2 or Excel

About a week ago or so, maybe a week and a half: Excel dosing for about a week

Tonight (17 Apr 07) After a few days of co2:

Now for the hardware
I built a quick canopy and stained it with mahogony stain. It holds an Eclipse spiral flourescent bulb (10w). I plan on adding mirrors and white paint to the underside for better light reflection. Paint for sure, mirrors are a maybe.

This is the co2 system. It's pretty simple, just straight foreward DIY stuff found on these boards. I decided to give DIY co2 a try after a bit of excel dosing and it seems to be working wonders. I've had it running a few days and the plants look more green and overall better (I know, subjective). Before I just had it running though an air stone and lost a bunch of gas unto the room. As of tonight I have it tapped into my spray bar, allowing for much better gas exchange. I lose a few bubbles, but they're small and not too common

Bottle for the yeast:

Gas line into the spray bar on the filter:

Here is aclose up of the spray bar. You can see the co2 bubble in the bar and the hole the line is tapped into. This was a pic with the filter on; the flow isn't strong enough to evacuate the bar.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Yoshi!

The base will be in the works before too long. It does look top-heavy now, doesn't it?

The piece of slate will be removed once the drift wood will stay down on its own. It's still trying to float, so it needs a bit of weight for the time being.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's great. I wrapped some poly-stuffing around it to polish the water because the sponge inside isn't very fine, but aside from that little complaint it works very well. The flow isn't too much with the spray bar and it works well with my co2 too. It's pretty easy to hide and keeps the tank clean.

I re-did the tank last night. I took out the wood and added petrified wood. The tank is way more open now and doesn't look so crowded. I also broke up a few plants and spread them out and laid down the sand I was talking about. I'll get pics soon.

·
Registered
889 Posts
it's great. I wrapped some poly-stuffing around it to polish the water because the sponge inside isn't very fine, but aside from that little complaint it works very well. The flow isn't too much with the spray bar and it works well with my co2 too. It's pretty easy to hide and keeps the tank clean.

I re-did the tank last night. I took out the wood and added petrified wood. The tank is way more open now and doesn't look so crowded. I also broke up a few plants and spread them out and laid down the sand I was talking about. I'll get pics soon.
Awesome, can't wait to see the pictures :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here are the new pics as of 28 April 07
I moved everything around the other day and added some pearl grass. I have a bundle behind the left rock that I may not keep in the tank. I just don't have another place for it yet. I'm thinking of setting up a 10gal planted tank soon, so it may go there.

Excuse the dirty glass and water level. I'm a day away from my weekly change, so it'll be fixed tomorrow.

pearling

I'm definitely open to suggestions and the like. If you have ideas I'd love to hear them!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Looks pretty nice ;) I don't really have any suggestions but I'd like to ask you what that plant in the foreground on the 4th picture is (the grass-like one). I received it in a package today by mail but I don't know what it is :) Thank you!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's Sagittaria subulata, or dwarf sagittaria if you like the common name. This stuff is pretty tough. I bought mine in rough shape from my LFS and stuck it in the tank w/only florite. It got burried and found its way to the top before too long. The plants you're seeing have completly grown back from only the roots and are doing very well now that they're in the sand/florite mix. They'll send out runners before too long and pop more plants up. Mine grow fairly slow it seems.

·
Registered
889 Posts
it's Sagittaria subulata, or dwarf sagittaria if you like the common name. This stuff is pretty tough. I bought mine in rough shape from my LFS and stuck it in the tank w/only florite. It got burried and found its way to the top before too long. The plants you're seeing have completly grown back from only the roots and are doing very well now that they're in the sand/florite mix. They'll send out runners before too long and pop more plants up. Mine grow fairly slow it seems.
Thanks a lot Cody :D And thank you for the information on it as well ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts