The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been planted now for almost a year. This Febuary there was an accident involving the difference between temperatures in the room, and inside the tank. Needless to say, the difference was big enough for the tank to crack, also granted that the tank (20 gallon long) was over a decade old, I can't really complain. It put my dampers down on planted tanks for about a month or two, but of course the hobby reeled me back in! I have another 20 gallon that I am in the process of setting up. For now though, shrimp have caught my eye, and I recently picked up a lil 5 gallon two weeks ago.

Project Shrimp!

Tank/Equipment

5 gallon tank
-Elite Stingray filter (Will be replacing with an azoo palm filter for surface movement, and then a DIY canister for biological)
-15 watts of flourescent Lighting
-25 watt heater

Substrate
-Flourite

Fertz
-Root Tabs
-Fourish Excel - 2time/wk
-Flourish Iron, ect.

Will be changing to either greg watson ferts or other dry ferts within the next month

Flora
-Small rock with Java Moss
-Crypt Wendtii - shoved in the corner, healthy though, considering swapping
-Anubias Barteri

Suggestions for other plants are welcome, my plans for Flora is hopefully about half to 2/3 of tank to be covered in mosses, I like the anubias, might switch it for nana petite if it grows too wide. And other than that Im not sure

Shrimp
-Cherries most likely, depends on what I can come across with at the time of my purchasing

Fish
-Not sure, any suggestions? I was thinking mabey just a few endlers, but i might not be able to keep with the reproduction. (I planned on just cycling them in my 55gallon malawi cichlid tank when they get over populated.)

Let me know what you all think!

Pics comming soon!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Where in Central Illinois are you located? I would not mind giving you a startup colony of 10-20 Cherries for FREE. If I have to ship them, then just pay for shipping.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in the Champaign- Urbana area..

Sorry for the late response.. Long weekend. Pics will be up tomorrow

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey everyone,

Sorry for not updating this thread. Nothing has really happened since I first posted. I do have some mosses and some shrimp comming in the mail this week, so when those arrive pics will be posted! The tank is still pretty much bare. All the equipment has stayed the same. I just didn't see a need to post a pic of the bare tank, besides a clup of Crypt sp. "Wendtii Brown" in the corner which will soon be moved back into its original tank.

The moss I currently had basically distenegrated. I didn't do so well of a job washing the flourite and it got covered. I guess it wasn't able to get much of anything while being covered. I tried to wash the moss off and when I did it was all dead. Its ok though, I have quite a bit of moss on its way to me.

I will update ASAP!!

-Fishboy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts