The Planted Tank Forum banner

341 - 345 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #341 ·
Your doing better than I am. The cardinals keep dropping. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all wiped out by tomorrow. Funny thing is they all look great and are swimming normally... I think I'm going with Lemon Tetras and Clown Loaches and something else. I think I'm over even apisto's at this point.

I really like the Gertrude Rainbows and Furcata, but they are like $7 a piece... Ive spent my money. I just want a nice lively school... alive being the key word

That’s super unfortunate to hear that your experience has soured to the point of being over Apistos too. It is totally understandable though. A few years ago I lost my entire collection of emersed Crypts, mostly semi rare, during and immediately following a move. I didn’t touch an emersed set up for three years before finally setting up my current 40b. I hope that with time you are able to find yourself enjoying cardinals and Apistos again.

I love my Gertrude’s Rainbowfish! I paid between $2-4 per fish, with the exception of a recent pair of Aru IV which I got for a buck at an auction. If you can find someone in your area who actively keeps and breeds them that is your best bet. I can get the P. gertrudae ‘Aru IV’ from a buddy who breeds them for like $4/ea. I know he makes more than that selling them to the LFS though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
That’s super unfortunate to hear that your experience has soured to the point of being over Apistos too. It is totally understandable though. A few years ago I lost my entire collection of emersed Crypts, mostly semi rare, during and immediately following a move. I didn’t touch an emersed set up for three years before finally setting up my current 40b. I hope that with time you are able to find yourself enjoying cardinals and Apistos again.

I love my Gertrude’s Rainbowfish! I paid between $2-4 per fish, with the exception of a recent pair of Aru IV which I got for a buck at an auction. If you can find someone in your area who actively keeps and breeds them that is your best bet. I can get the P. gertrudae ‘Aru IV’ from a buddy who breeds them for like $4/ea. I know he makes more than that selling them to the LFS though.

Its funny you say that. I originally fell in love with Furcata Rainbows when I set up the top tank. I anticipated an instant cycle due to reusing old substrate and an already established filter. Of my original group of 7 (at like $9 a piece) only a female has survived. Recently she has started to really get some crazy color for a female. I'm really soured by the tetra die off... and I was considering Lemon Tetras... but man I was thinking a group of Furcata or Gertrude sure would look awesome and add some awesome action to the tank. I really need a school of 20 plus to have what I want, but in my experience and what Ive seen on YouTube they are far more active and better schoolers than the lemon tetras. I'm kind of thinking about turning my lemons into lemonade. The Rainbows lasted a very long time while I was struggling with the cycle.
Do you have some pics of your Gertrude's?? Id love to see them settled and really showing their best. I think Rainbows are really the only fish that can compare to a large group of cardinals in beauty or a large group of Rummynose in activity.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #343 ·
The fish finally stopped dying, not long after my last post. Only lost one more of the Dwarf Pencilfish. I haven’t added anymore fish back into the tank. I figure I might as well give the tank some time to get back to normal. I put in two new dual sponge filters, both fairly large.

I planted six pots of emersed Cryptocoryne parva into the left side of the tank. I’ll probably be removing the majority of the stems. Most of them haven’t been growing well anyways. I just don’t have enough light over this tank for many stems to do well. Maybe I should just run a longer photoperiod, maybe I will anyways. The Crypts could all use a longer photoperiod. Either way, most of the stems are leaving. Just gonna be lots of Cryptocoryne species, well, plus all the other stuff in this tank! I’m tempted to order a bunch more pots of Crypt parva...

Not sure what’s gonna go into this tank. The Apisto erythrura pair looks way better in a tank of their own(plus 4 corydoras habrosus) than they ever did in here. That’s true even with a hell of a lot less plants coverage! They probably will not return to this tank. The Dwarf Pencilfish school will be rebuilt. I love the C. sterbai but damn they’re pricey.

I’d like to go back with a pair of some sort of Apistos though.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #345 ·
I’ve always loved Crypt parva, this isn’t the first time I’ve planted large quantities into this tank. Idk if you noticed but the 10g that the Apisto pair from this tank is currently in has a bunch of parva too... There is actually quite a few parva already in this tank(20L). I’ll wait an see how it transitions to submersed growth and then decide if I want to add more.

I would like to attempt the breeding of pencilfish, but this is not the tank to do it in.

341 - 345 of 345 Posts