The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Does anyone know if JG tubing is any good for CO2 transport?

I know the Low Density Polyethelene "leaks" CO2 under pressure but is that a relevant concern for the pressures we are working with?

I have a lot of it and would rather use it than buy new tube unless it is really useless....

Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi Slawman,

Welcome to TPT!

I too wondered if CO2 tubing was required for transport when I first started. Here is a link to a thread on The Barr Report that may help you; the link to the Cole-Parmer Technical Library tubing selection guide may help. Read the whole thread especially the posts with the calculations as to what the actual CO2 loss is computed to be as well as Tom Barr's post at the end. Sorry but I am not familiar with the John Guess tubing.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I talked to US Plastics tech department and they said to buy the cheapest they had as the pressure and CO2 is no problem for any tubing. Thinking of the way we let CO2 into the tank through a diffuser or reactor, I see no way to worry that some will squeeze out between the molecules of the plastic sideways. Why not just shoot out the easy way? I find CO2 so cheap that I do not worry about getting the total maximum out of each tank. A loss of even 1% is not enough to make me sweat over what tubing to use. If I leave a single leak, it will cost me far more than any going out the side.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.