The Planted Tank Forum banner

JJBTEXAS's 65 Gallon

2659 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  AcidGambit
I had been thinking about this tank non-stop since I saw it last weekend because it's the perfect size to upgrade my 22 and it was 15% off this morning so I snatched it. They extended the sale to any equipment I wanted to add so I couldn't say no.

I'm going to stay low tech with this tank, lots of driftwood, stone and plants for the fish to swim through.

Some of the fish and equipment is migrating over from my 22 gallon

Tank: Planet Aquariums 65 Gallon
Light: 36" Fluval 3.0
Management: Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Basic
Substrate: Fluval Stratum and CaribSea Torpedo Beach
Filter/Heater: OASE Biomaster Thermo 350
Skimmer: JARDLI Stainless Lily Pipe and Skimmer
Hardscape: Seiryu Stone and Driftwood
Powerhead: Current USA eFlux Wave Pump

Planned Fish
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Decided to try out the OASE Biomaster Thermo 350. Rated for 300GPH, it should turn over the actual water volume in the tank a little less than 6 times an hour when running at full tilt. I plan on making a few adjustments to the filtration and will measure the actual flow rate once everything is set up. The heater is a 200 watt unit which should be able to manage the temperatures in the tank considering it will be in my office. The temperature delta should never be more than 10-15 degrees F from my target temperature in the tank. The power is supplied separately from the filter so it can still be controlled by my ReefKeeper Basic.

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4/10/19: It's Here!

Tank arrived this morning along with the Fluval 3.0 and the substrate. The only missing piece is a Current Powerhead I ordered which should arrive on Friday. There's also a piece of driftwood that is sinking in my outdoor pond. Should have everything to put the tank together by this weekend except plants. I had those all lined up and ready to order but many of them went out of stock...

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
4/11/19: Progress

Made some progress last night. I used egg crate and silicone to build the dividing wall and will fill the substrate new the wall with Dwarf Sag. I also ordered some Bacopa, Ludwiga Repens, Staurogyne Repens, Pearl Weed, Scarlet Temple and Bolbitis heteroclita "difformis" and already have a good amount of Anubia Nana Petite and some buce.

· Registered
667 Posts
4/12/19: Tank Filled

Filled her up this weekend! Still waiting on the Ludwigia Repens and Bolbitis heteroclita "difformis". I ended up not going with the Staurogyne Repens or Pearl Weed.
Damn. That progressed quickly! Good work mate! Looks really great. Now we wait for the water to clear and the plants to thrive whilst the tubing of the system takes place.
I'm tackling my own low tech now and so will be following your progress!

· Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn. That progressed quickly! Good work mate! Looks really great. Now we wait for the water to clear and the plants to thrive whilst the tubing of the system takes place.
I'm tackling my own low tech now and so will be following your progress!
Thanks! It's taking a while for the water to clear up, but other than that I'm pretty happy. Hopefully I'll be able to fill in the back corner with the Ludwigia Repens and all the plants fill out.

I moved over some filter media from an established tank to jump start the cycle and added Fritz Zyme 7 Live Bacteria as well so it shouldn't take long for the tank to get going.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.