The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I originally purchased this tank to use as a small quarantine tank but found dwarf puffers and had to set up a tank for one.

Tank specs:
2.5G Marineland
8W Florescent with no reflector
Aquaclear 20 (turned all the way down)
Cheapo heater @78D F
ADA Amazonia
Sand
Rocks
little seachem ferts/excel here and there

1 - Dwarf puffer
A revolving door of overnight guest ghost shrimp and snails

Dwarf Sag
Eriocaulon Type 2
couple sprigs of ludwiga palustris

Its only been planted a few days now so it looks a little sparse in there. :p For bonus points find the hunting dwarf puffer:

Help identify the hitchhiker (creeping jenny?):

Thanks for looking. I was going to house updates for this tank with the 20G journal but figured it would be easier to keep up with if it had its own place.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Looks nice, the stones don't look too natural bunched together in the middle though. It'll look alot better when the plants grow in.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good eye Halibass.

I've only had him for 3 weeks or so now and there has been a ramshorn in there about 3 times his size since day one. Everything else thats went in there though he's taken care of quite easily. He can only crunch the shells of ones that are about the size of his eye but the larger ones he just pokes his head down in the shell or grabs them by the foot and shakes them like a dog. I've been removing the shells at waterchanges. I only give him 1-2 every few days. He likes freeze dried bloodworms too, doesn't go for thawed tubifex worms tho.
I haven't been able to catch him hunting down a shrimp yet.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think the rocks look great that way! :) Pretty darn good for round rocks too! They aren't the easiest things to scape with. Good job! Lucky DP! :) Don't worry...he'll even eat that big ramshorn snail. The DP will just wait til the snail sticks his head out so he grab onto him and then eat him. LOL I had 3 DPs and they decimated my snail population. Good idea to have a snail factory on the side to keep up with your DP's demand for meaty flesh. hehehe ;)

Ps....once my DPs ate all my snails (only the MTS seemed safe-they hid well), they started to go after my shrimp....the adult ones!!! :eek: That's when I gave them away to a fellow DP enthusiasts. I didn't mind them taking a few babies (I have tons of them), but when they started to take down the large shrimp, it was time for them to go.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks!

rodney: Yea the rocks are grouped more towards the middle but eventually I hope to have the rotala on each side grow in from the side of the tank to each rock's side. We'll see what happens though.

Color Me Blue: Thats the main reason I set up this little nano as a species only tank. Pretty much anything that goes in with him is to be considered a food source. It would be nice to get him a little buddy that he wouldn't consider dinner but I think the only good mates are Otos or Gobies (assuming there are true freshwater gobies, I still haven't been able to find that one out).

On the layout for the scape, I was aiming more for creating something visually challenging for the DP as opposed to a scene. Hopefully the dwarf sag does well and grows rampant in the middle, only time will tell. :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yeah, Dwarf Puffers are a terror to any invertibrate, lol. Mine are really fat off of bloodworms and the constant supply of snails that I provide them, but when they get bored, they hunt my shrimp. It was kindof shocking at first, but, hey, at least they keep the population in check.

A 2.5g is rather small to add any other fish- especially a Goby. I have several Bumblebees myself, but they are exceptionally agressive, despite their small size, so you'd be in for constant territory disputes, and, likely, a dead fish. Oh, and despite what the site says, they actually prefer brackish water, but I've kept mine in fresh without issue.

As for the layout, the more interesting things that your fish can explore, the more mentally stimulated he will remain, and, consequently, the more his overall health will improve. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agrippa: Exactly what you just stated were my thoughts. Its a tiny tank even given the DP's small size, I'm really more concerned at this point with making sure the environment has enough little nooks to keep the guy busy. Because if it turns out that he gets bored and starts pacing... I guess I'll have to set up a 10G for him. :p Thankfully I haven't seen anything like this yet so maybe this might work out.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
little update

Things are going well with this tank, much unlike the 20g :p with only a little green algae on the glass probably due to too great of a light period. This tank has no timer so either me or the wife (whichever one wakes up latest) turns it on in the morning and then we turn it off before bedtime.
Everything seems to be growing well given the hood only has an 8w bulb. I even chucked an Erio type2 top in there for giggles last week and its growing. I'm already seeing runners from the Dwarf sag and its time to trim all of the rotala and re-plant the tops to get the bushy look going. The mystery plant is growing like mad and has tripled in size, I still need to find out what it is!!! Still leaning toward it being creeping jenny. I put a few leaves of salvina natans in the tank that came as a hitcher with some snails and its multiplying well also. I know its a pest once it gets going but its such a neat little plant.

So here's some pics that I snapped this weekend...

This one from a distance a bit to show its location on the nightstand:

And one a little closer in:

Thinking of maybe moving the mystery plant to the front left of the tank to get it out of the middle section. I had no idea it would grow so fast. And maybe moving both the ludwiga sprigs to the far right front since I kinda just plugged them in there to begin with. I would pull them out completely but I've seen 'pickle' (the DP) sleeping under the low lying leaves on several occasions.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Felix. I'm going to try to find a smaller stealth type heater soon for it if there is such a thing.

A little bit to update on the tank progress. I topped all of the rotala green and colorata and replanted the tops. Left the bottoms there too, with no CO2 its taking a little while for the bottoms to fill back in. I think I'm going to have to trim the tops back again before I bother the rooted originals. Guess its going to take quite a while to get everything to look bushy with the low tech approach.
The dwarf sag is doing really well and I see at least 7-8 new planlets since the initial planting.
My only issue at this point is some GDA or diatoms. Can't really tell, I just clean it off the glass when it gets unsightly. Hopefully I can dial in what kind of excesses are causing the issue sooner or later. I'm only dosing a touch (less than a half mL) of macros/micros at this point every 2-3 days. I think its time to buy a timer for the lights because I'm suspecting that's causing the problem.

I'm going to have to trim the Erio type2 in the 20 soon and I'm thinking of replacing the colorata on the left side with some. The single top that I stuck in a few weeks ago is doing well and its already sprouting another stem at the base so I think there is enough light to support it. Eh?

A few pics:

Aside from the plants "pickle" is doing well. Still no problems with pacing... other than when we visit the tank he begs for food.

I think thats all for now. Thanks to everyone so far for the help and comments.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
baby update

Its been a while since I've been able to post anything about this tank update wise and I had a few moments this evening to snap a few pics... only one turned out decent though.

I've replaced the rotala with some Erio Type 2 clippings from my 20g and they seem to be doing well. I hadn't noticed how much the sand had settled since I first set up the tank until I started this update. Guess its time to add some fresh on top.

Not much has changed with the tank other than that. I'd like to try something else plant wise later in the fall once the temps get lower. I like the dwarf sag in there and its done well but I want to replace the erio with something...
no CO2 in there and only an 8w bulb.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.