The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Here is the deal, I need more flow, especially surface agitation.

So, my new 17g tank has a eheim 2215. It has an effective 85-90 g/h, last time I measured. Although i feel like the flow in the tank is pretty mediocre at the moment, basically it is a pretty still tank. I am using a classic glass lily outflow. I read that this one produce the least flow. I'm looking for a medium flow in the tank. I am thinking about switching to a jet glass outflow. See link if needed. I read that the jet version would produce a stronger flow. Anyone of you guys have tried it? Does it really have a good impact on flow versus the big lily pipe? Or else I am thinking about the poppy pipe as i need more surface agitation for gas exchange, I am just wondering if this would waste co2 as I am injecting in-line. I already order a glass inflow with built-in surface skimmer to help with that but I am looking to make sure I have enough.

Thank you,

See link if needed.
https://www.amazon.ca/13mm-Glass-Lily-Outflow-Inflow/dp/B01K9YQZ6O

·
Registered
223 Posts
That lily pipe in the link only causes a illusion of More flow. The water coming out of the pipe has more velocity, but the total volume of water that gets cycled by the filter in the tank over one hour is lesser than your existing lily pipe.

What are you trying to achieve? If you need more flow then just raise the level of the filter by 6 inches if possible relative to the tank. This will give you more flow as the filter needs to pump the water to a shorter height. Placing two big phone books below the filter will give you more flow than a new lily pipe :)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
@Preeths

I understand that the gph won't change or might drop depending on the pipe as you say. I am basically looking to increase in tank agitation, mainly surface agitation.
Yes that pipe is designed to give you more power at the surface. With that being said I can't imagine the regular lily pipe with a 2215 isn't enough for a 60P. You really don't need but maybe a subtle movement at the top. My tanks usually have none that I could see and there aren't any issues. What do you perceive as a problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Asteroid

I may be wrong, but I feel like the gaz exchange is not good. For example, if I leave the lily pipe submerged 24/7. My dropchecker does not seems to indicate a significant co2 decrease during the off-time. Worse than that I tested for a couple of days last week and I noticed co2 buildups from day-to-day and getting low ph reading. Although, when I submerge it fully for the co2 cycle (I am injecting in-line as stated above, so I want to make sure i'm not wasting any by leaving the pipe halfway in) and put it halfway in water for the light-off, I notice a better reduction in gas during the night.

Now my reason for caring about that.

That is a relatively new tank. About 3 month old. It has fully cycled. About a month ago I was reading consistent 0ppm ammonia. 2-3 weeks ago as I rose co2 to a level of about 20-25 ppm with the introduction of the second group of plants mass ( heavy plants, 75-80% of area) I started noticing ammonia spike 1-2 ppm. And I can read that I am probably having nitrate spikes as well (Brown spots eventually leading to holes in plants). Note that I did not introduced any fish, did not change my fert regime, EI, I am doing consistent weekly 50% water changes. This led me to think that my tank was getting to acidic for my bacteria colony health. As this is co2 is the only change I made.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
PH being pushed down by co2 is normal and really won't lead to a ph crash. It just doesn't happen. What is the change in ph from tap to tank when co2 is at it's highest? Doesn't sound like you have an issue, I don't see why that would create an ammonia spike unless you hd a lot of dead plant matter and or you disturbed the substrate when planting and ammonia was released.

My PH only goes up a little with lights/co2 off and my drop checker stays light green and has never caused a problem to plants/fish?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Asteroid

You are probably right. I mean at its lowest ph was about 6.3. Tap is 7-7.2. Logically this does not really make sense. I am still trying to figure out what happened. Last 2 days have been really good in term of stability so I will see if this was just an isolated event.

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
250 Posts
wait until you install your surface skimmer. it provides good gas exchange. not only that, but it clears out the oil slick. seems like you may need more flow. i have a 2213 and a closed loop running my reactor at 230gph on my 20h but i have a couple of thick stands of stem plants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.