The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
I started my first shrimp tank. I had a no-tech 3 gallon jar planted with 5 red cherries in it. I was having issues with the jar after 3 months and I decided to upgrade to a 20 Long. I took plants and substrate from the jar and plenty of bio-media and plants from the main tank. I currently have my back up filter running while I figure what canister I will be using. I used MGOPS mixed with safe-t-sorb (has anyone tried this? I am hoping the sorb will hold a little nutrient stockpile and extend the life of the substrate), capped with black sand for the substrate. I am currently using three clamp lights, 2 with spiral cfls and 1 led as a temporary set up. I plan on using the same three bulbs in architect style lamps. I also have some other ideas that should look pretty good, this is just the start! I am going for an Iwagumi-ish type scape. Let me know what you think.

Fauna:
5 Red Cherry Shrimp
1-3 Pond snails
1 Blue Mystery snail
1 Brass tetra

Flora:
Bacopa Carolinia
Water Wisteria
Water Sprite floaters
Dwarf Sag
Blyxa Japonica
Various Crypts
Rotala
Banana Plant
Java Moss

First crappy phone pics (more and better to come):
Main

Leftside of scape

Rightside of scape

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after setting this tank up I left for vacation for a week. I lost one cherry :( but other than a bit of algae on the glass all was well when I got back! After a water change some scrubbed glass and the addition of more plants and 4 Otos, this is what we have going. Many changes still to come, filter ordered (Eheim 2213) new light(ZooMed AquaSun T5HO 30") to be setup soon and diy mini-stand and filter cabinet(to be built).
FTS

Brass Tetra

Dwarf Sag is spreading already!

Added hardscape foreground right side rock

Looongview

Full frontal

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update and Re-Scape!

I was not real happy and my wife hated the look of this tank. I like the hardscape but the planting sucked! I decided to give a little more of a Dutch-Iwagumi hybrid feel. The plantings will be a bit more organized(at least compared to the dumping ground it was), I also limited the number of plant species.
I got my Eheim 2213 up and running with temp tubes while I spray the real ones black. (I may have to look into glass lily pipes for this tank)

Pics:
FTS 7/18/13

Longviews

Leftside

Rightside

Staurogyne Repens and Hydrocoytle Japan

Hygro"Brown"

Overview 1

Overview 2

Cherries

Amano

Let me know how it looks, Thanks!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My shrimp come Monday!!!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

New Shrimp and Rocks!

A few pics:

FTS 7/30/13

Longview 1

Longview2

Amano

CRS Juvie

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What camera are you using?
I use a Nikon D5000 with the 18-55mm lens. I also have a Macro attachment (I need to learn how to use properly) and a 55-200mm lens.

What do you use?

Anybody else have any feedback on the layout/ ideas?:icon_idea

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Babies!!!!

I was just trying out new food from Ravensgate (it's AWESOME by the way) and noticed I have babies!!!! Skrimplets!

I am pumped, I didn't even notice a berried female. My original 4 large cherries have been very reclusive of late and I thought maybe I had glanced a berried female but was doubtful. Apparently I was right the first time.

Check the little guys out!

Water change, tank cleanup and update to come in the next few days.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Berried Much?

Still battling to get a really good balance in this tank but I LOVE it! First babies last week and just noticed 3 berried Cherries! I have a few friends setting up tanks now to take on some juvies. I have been using samples of Ravensgate's foods and it is great! On to the pics.

FTS 8/27/13

the long way

Babies having Babies(this looks like a juvie to me any opinions?)

Berried

Feeding Frenzy!

Crystal Reds

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Great photos! I love your new rocks, and all of your shrimp! How many different species of shrimp do you have in your 20L?
Thanks Gooberfish, I currently I have 4 species, Black Bees(5), Crystal Reds(5), Cherries(15-40{?})and Tigers(8-12).

I plan on moving the Bees and Crystals into twin Evolve 4's (bees on white soil and crystals on black soil) right next to each other on my office desk.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: params

pH 7.2(higher than I would like but steady)
temp 71*
KH 4 drops (71.6 according to conversion chart)
GH 4 drops (" ")
Nitrite 0 PPM
Nitrate 0 PPM
Ammonia 0-25 PPM

·
Registered
212 Posts
The tank looks great!

I have a 20 long with the same light fixture. What bulbs are you running? I am running a 6500K & 10,000K and it was algae galore in my tank when the hood was sitting on the tank. I now have the hood suspended 27" above the tank to keep the algae away

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!
I use two 6500k bulbs that I got from the LA Shop. Currently fighting algae myself. I am working on using a shorter photoperiod and have noticed a bit less algae.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
3 Month Update

:bounce:Up and running for 3 Months!!!:bounce:​

I have a new batch of shrimplets and growing shrimplets galore! I also have saddled Cherries and some prego Tigers, Cherries and CRS.

Still fighting algae but I think its improving. Growth is coming along and I am loving the Downoi! Due for a trim on the Bacopa and the Rotala. I also think the intensity of light is too much for the Hygro "Brown" the growth is lacking and the leaves have a dusting of algae. I may move it to another tank, but I would need to find a tall plant that adds some dark color to the back round plants. Any ideas?

On to the photos:

Main:
FTS:
20 the long way:

Downoi:

Feeding Frenzy:

CRS:

Saddled Cherry:

Cherry:

Prego Tiger:

Tiger:

Black Bee:

CRS and Yellow or Green?:

Getting bigger!:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More shrimplets since yesterday! I was feeding today and noticed the tiny little guys! So Pumped!:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts