The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so i got an awesome setup for christmas from my pop :) guess he listens pretty well when i babble about my fish hobby...
40 gallon 'regular' 36" x 15" x 16"
nova extreme t5ho 2 x 39w
marineland C-360
Eheim jager heater 150w
substrate: special kitty capped w/ pool filter sand
hardscape: lava rock & driftwood
pressurized co2 10lb aluminum tank w/ GLA's choice regulator
EI dosing dry & seachem ferts
flora: dwarf hairgrass, anubias nana 'petite', anubias barteri (i believe), needle leaf java fern, lace java fern, hygro 'kompackt', tiger lotus, hygro augustifolia
fauna: updated 2-22-10
5 dwarf rainbows
8 neons
6 rummies
2 gold pristella tetras
2 otos
2 ABN plecos (1 longfin/1 reg)
100+ RCS

all shiny & new :)

temporary plants and i need to go get more hairgrass. driftwood still floating.. also one of the bulbs came w/ a bent pin so only the pink is on

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Very nice set up. What a very thoughtful gift.
I'm curious about your signature. I googled it a few months ago, but I can't remember what I found. :)
CL!

It's a magic number. Can't wait for the final season to start up.

Speaking of which, why not make the scape 'Lost' inspired?
Maybe a tropical theme... or a yin-yang theme.
Actually, the lava rock is a good start... looks a bit like Hawaii.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite a nice Christmas gift! Get that CO2 system ASAP You'll thank yourself every day thereafter
ha- what a crazy website! and yes, im hoping to save enough for the co2 system in the next month..

oh yeah, go low tech until you get CO2...
yea- im almost glad my 10k bulb isn't working haha. i bleach dipped all the plants before putting them in here and the photoperiod is only 5 hours right now...

good start, what's that filter it looks like a tetratec clone?
filter is a marineland c-360. it's a beast

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe they're a tetra clone or a rebrand, they're brilliant filters, they're called tetratec ex1200's over here, I've had one on my 13gallon and love it.
yea the filter is great- super quiet, i can't even hear it unless i open the door and lean in. great flow and black tubing! :)

so i have a small update- working on the hardscape... all the driftwood just sank so i've got one layout here i think i may stick with.... i have some extra java moss so i'm still contemplating putting it on the driftwood or not. leaning toward not
i picked up another pot of hairgrass but it STILL wasn't enough :( so i've got to go get another. the sunset hygro is floating in there cause i pulled it to put in the wood and im too lazy to replant it right now.. i don't think it will be staying anyway. i've done 2 10% water changes over the past week. my rummies are still very pale and hugging the substrate- but seem active sometimes and aren't gasping. im keeping a close eye on them..

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The year is 2010, by the way.
haha thx- fixed. that's going to be hard to get used to

Did you seed the filter or cycle the tank any? Strikes me as far too soon to be adding fish?
no i didn't, the fish will be cycling the tank but i'm doing frequent small water changes and monitoring parameters

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like what you've done so far! You sure got this started up in a hurry. I'm such a procrastinator that a new tank can sit empty for weeks while I over analyze every last equipment decision. Great choice on the C-series!
yea well i got all the equipment for christmas and my dad was so excited about it i had to get it going :) nothing to wait for.. except pressurized co2 which will be coming in the next week or two

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What kind of diffuse will you be using?
i would like an inline reactor.. but im seriously challenged when it comes to any sort of plumbing and it intimidates me. i may look into that later but i'll prob be going with a ceramic diffuser for now

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.