The Planted Tank Forum banner

Jekk’s Nature Hybrid

1106 17
Hey all, thought I’d finally start my own journal!

My main tank has gone through 9 years worth of changes. From various low tech layouts, to high tech algae farm, to an attempt at high tech scaping, to now: a big rescape in a nature style with (hopefully) Dutch inspiration.

Details:
200L Blue Planet tank (old and scratched, but whatever)
Sunsun HW 304A filter with spray bar
In-line co2 diffuser
PlantGro Plant LED strip
Fluval 3.0

LCA dry ferts EI level (will be once it’s settled)
Co2 measurements once settled - previously ran a 1.8 ph drop during photoperiod

Hardscape:
Granite rock from local area (previously used in all prior layouts
Manzanita and other wood
PFS substrate, some old some new

Plants so far (all from prior scape)
Staurogyne repens
Eleocharis parvula
Glossostigma elatinoides
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala ‘colorata’
Rotala wallichii
Alternanthera reineckii ‘mini’
Pogostemon erectus
Hygrophila polysperma
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Lobelia cardinalis ‘mini’
Micranthemum tweediei
Blyxa japonica
Hydrocotyle tripartita

Some set up pics from todays efforts to come!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I planted as best I could in a semi rushed fashion, the 7yo boy decided to suddenly need everything during that time, aaaand apparently lost all his self help skills. View attachment 1047059
View attachment 1047060
View attachment 1047058
View attachment 1047057
Not as cloudy as I expected.
Nice! Leaps and bounds better then my first aquascaped tank.

It's amazing how much time it takes to aquascape and plant a tank. I try to do it now when no one else is in the house for just the reasons you discovered :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! Leaps and bounds better then my first aquascaped tank.

It's amazing how much time it takes to aquascape and plant a tank. I try to do it now when no one else is in the house for just the reasons you discovered :p
Thanks minorhero! Absolutely a rookie mistake doing it all with him home. Although I doubt I would have done much better if I was alone and had all day.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
24 hours since the rescape and everything is going well so far. Last night it had a small ammonia spike to 0.25ppm which was expected. The fish were all tucked safely away in a spare tank.

Overnight I set the canister back up on the tank and ran a seeded HOB for the fish. This morning, no ammonia readings. Never saw any nitrite.
After a final check this afternoon, and a 60% wc, the fish are all moved back in. I’ll keep testing daily until I’m sure the fish are safe.

Here’s the fish list:
Black widow tetra
Rummynose tetra
Firetail gudgeon
Siamese algae eater (x1)
Kuhli loach (x1)
Diamond tetra
Bloodfin glass tetra
Endler guppy (x1)

The kuhli loach and endler were actually hitch hikers I never intended to have. They both came with plants I bought for my axolotl tank (on separate occasions). It’s way too cold for them in that tank! The kuhli has been my accidental buddy for the last 4 years.

Water Vertebrate Nature Plant Aquatic plant

Water Plant Plant community Underwater Terrestrial plant

Water Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Organism

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m trying to get a clear grasp on my co2 injection this time around, as I’ve had BBA problems in the past.

I spent yesterday charting my pH every 30 minutes using a recalibrated pen. I’ve put this data, plus my light and co2 injection info, into a table to visually see what the drop looks like over the day.
Thanks to @ak7v for the idea!
Rectangle Slope Personal computer Line Font

I think my lights are on too long after my gas turns off..?
I’ve got a cup of tank water degassing at the moment but it’ll likely be at around 7.8 I think. I’ll test that soon.
I do maintain 6.2 for most of my photoperiod, and as I’m aiming for stability I think that’s good.
My Kh is 7.
Water Fluid Hood Liquid Motor vehicle

DC towards the end of the photoperiod. The fish seem much shyer during peak lights but I see no surface gasping at all.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Things are chugging along quite well. I’m changing A LOT of water every week in an attempt to keep organic waste to an absolute minimum whilst the plants reestablish themselves.
My s. repens does appear somewhat moody after the big change. I went from copious amounts of the stuff invading everywhere, to very little. It is getting some subtle signs of browning (melt perhaps?)
Natural environment Wood Organism Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Leaf Plant Bedrock Wood Vegetation

Hard to see in those pics. It shouldn’t be nutrient deficiency I don’t think…

The Monte Carlo is starting to spread and connect together. Obligatory, albeit poorly angled, FTS:
Plant Plant community Rectangle Water Organism

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just over 3 weeks since the re-do. I’ve gotten my fert dosing gradually back up to EI levels from this week.

Here’s what I’m now dosing per week (I divide it into daily doses, with a bigger dose after water change)

All in ppm/wk :
Iron (DTPA) = 1.5
Nitrate = 22.5
Phosphate = 3.9
Potassium = 15.81
Magnesium = 0.045
Zinc = 0.15
Copper = 0.225
Manganese = 0.1125
Boron = 0.0555
Molybdenum = 0.0018
Citric Acid
E202 Potassium Sorbate

Plant Plant community Rectangle Water Pet supply

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to do the 1-2 Punch treatment on my tank today.
About a month ago, I got r. Wallichii from a not-so LFS. It came with long strands of filamentous algae and I didn’t realise until it was in for several days.

That particular plant was treated in a h2o2 dip before replanting this new scape.
Little did I know, it had already spread to the newest plants that were still acclimating.

Cue the thread now growing on the h. tripartita and polysperma.

I decided to nuke it rather than risk an outbreak.
8 hours later and all looks ok, no issues so far 🤞

Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Plant Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Grass Aquatic plant

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A slight detour to my axolotl tank, this is what it always looks like in spring/summer 😑
Water Vertebrate Fluid Pet supply Rectangle

With the humid, hot air, and the cold ass water (18deg Celsius) I spend 6 months of the year managing condensation. The extra large cabinet is to facilitate towels to catch the drips. The top is also protected with plastic wrapping done during assembly.

On the plus side, these are the 4 babies we bred (the rest were culled at egg stage as they’re a bit labour-intensive)
Rectangle Scaled reptile Gas Mesh Lizard

Due to the sensitivity of axolotls, this tank gets no added ferts or co2. Still, rotala, bolbitis, riccia, frogbit, and Java moss all do ok despite the ever present algae.

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Evergreen Shrub

Plant Sunlight Water Shade Grass

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update!

My 1-2 punch treatment can be declared as successful. No signs of thread/Filamentous algae re growth.

On the down side, a section of rotala rotundifolia on the far right started melting. I don’t really know if the h202 treatment did that, but as that portion was going to just attract algae, and rotala grows so fast, I pulled out and chucked that whole section.

I also had some Monte Carlo melt near the tripartita, so that was culled too.

In better news, my r. wallichii is finally recovering and getting wider and more pink by the day.

Water Plant Plant community Vertebrate Natural environment

Pogostemon erectus is an interesting plant. In my old layout it was so stunted. Never died but did nothing, presumably because of the high water column ferts. Oddly though, in it’s new position in this layout, it’s no longer stunted. Weirdo.
Water Plant Plant community Botany Terrestrial plant

I also got 2 new plants from my wish list! As my wife quietly glares in my direction whenever I spend big on the tank, I have to slowly trickle new plants in in the hopes she doesn’t notice…
I have a few stems of Ludwigia palustris ‘super red’ and limnophila hippuridoides from an online shop I frequent, both emersed grown. I’m hopeful they transition to submerged without too much drama but after a long journey to get to me, they’re cranky as hell.
Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass

Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Flowering plant

I removed a decent amount of polysperma sunset to make room. Whilst I like the pink veiny leaves they give me, it’s just a messy looking plant and not fitting with where I want to go. As I fill in my plant wish list some more, I’ll remove the rest.
I also snuck into the house a very small but awesome little dymax power head. I’ve attached the little duck bill to the outlet and it’s angled to the surface. I was tired of seeing such stagnant surface water in that particular spot. Now all areas of the surface is well agitated.
Light Plant Lighting Sunlight Wood

Fish are all doing great too!

Water Plant community Plant Vertebrate Pet supply

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Couple of updated pics.

Mostly the tank is going great. No real algae to speak of. However, for reasons unknown to me, my h. tripartita decided to suddenly give up on doing anything other than withering away.
After trying to appease her, i eventually elected to pull it out.
I’ve put a young Blyxa in that spot instead.

I am exited to see my l. hippurdoides creating new submerged growth after a period of melt. I have plans for that plant! The super red is still a work in progress.

Water Plant Vertebrate Botany Organism

Plant Nature Rectangle Vegetation Grass

Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Water Organism

·
Registered
158 Posts
Limnophilia Hippurdiodes is my fave plant that I've kept so far! I struggled with it at first, most likely a flow and light issue, but lately I've been able to get it to thrive and it's been growing so fast, even tops that I've replanted. With proper light, the two-tone color (green and purple-pink) makes it really stand out. Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It appears I’ve entered an ugly phase. I’ve been watching my s repens go through a slow melt ever since the rescape. Not every individual plant, but at least 70% of them.
I’ve since watched that melt spread to plants that are touching the affected repens. Monte Carlo and AR mini. New growth seem unaffected so far.

I’ve just done a big maintenance session. I’ve pulled as much affected plant matter as I can. My hope is that it’ll regrow healthier and this contagious melt will stop!

here’s a couple of pics of what I’m talking about.
Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Shrub

Plant Wood Natural landscape Branch Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Limnophilia Hippurdiodes is my fave plant that I've kept so far! I struggled with it at first, most likely a flow and light issue, but lately I've been able to get it to thrive and it's been growing so fast, even tops that I've replanted. With proper light, the two-tone color (green and purple-pink) makes it really stand out. Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out
Thanks geraldk! It’s doing really well so far I’ve just topped the new submerged growth and replanted it. I’ll grab pick of it later on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts