The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff, or others.
How would I go about adding some cheap red LEDS to that cheap aqua something or other I bought (in my 3 cheap LED thread) I am sure its similar for all cheap LED lights?
Which red strips would I want and how would I in general go about wiring them in?
The Aqua whatever is a supercheap white and actinic light and I want the reds to balance and also going to grow my less desirable or poor doer plants in that tank and will probably be better off with a better spectrum.
Will add more info when I get home this evening but lets discuss.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ummmm that linked to RAOK lol but thanks for the info on the thread lol

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm so I have sped read through that thread and that's much fancier than what I want/need for this tank.
I just want to add RED and maybe a green LED strip connect (solder) internally and have it operate as normal off the switch turning it into a FSPEC light.
No dimmers no separate power supplies and or channels needed.
I just want to change the color temp of the entire light and add the red and green for plant growth.
This light was cheap enough and I don't like it much in current configuration I am willing to risk overtaxing its supply or whatever.
I would prefer it doesn't go boom but I will not have a meltdown if it does.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just throw a Finnex stingray over the tank. Done and done.
Adding green won't do much for plant growth.
This has no point. I have a cheap LED light I bought just for my comparison thread and its on a tank that is primarily unplanted and somewhat unloved other than it houses my clown loaches.
It is my 3rd operating 55g and I just wanted to modify the cheapo light for fun.
I see no point in buying a high dollar light for a tank I don't care about much in terms of plants.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
This has no point. I have a cheap LED light I bought just for my comparison thread and its on a tank that is primarily unplanted and somewhat unloved other than it houses my clown loaches.
It is my 3rd operating 55g and I just wanted to modify the cheapo light for fun.
I see no point in buying a high dollar light for a tank I don't care about much in terms of plants.
Well you didn't make it very clear you wanted a DIY for a tank you don't care about.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you didn't make it very clear you wanted a DIY for a tank you don't care about.:wink2:
I suppose I did not come right out and say that no.
And I do love my loaches (they have been with me for many years) its just in terms of plantedtankdom this tank of the 4 operating tanks is just a catch all tank.
Things that aren't community or plants doing poorly but I like to give a chance before tossing etc this all goes in this tank.
This light was a fleabay special in my quest to find the best low cost light (Yescom) I tried this Aquaneat, Beamworks FSPEC and Yescom MULTIPEC.
This light was the largest disappointment in terms of quality in build etc.
Still MILES ahead of the 2 T8 fixtures that were on it on terms of illumination.
Works fine just it was I think 25 bucks or so and as such no huge loss if my mods ruin it. >:)

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Just find the plus and munus on the board.. solder a strip of red LED's to it.
It is just another series/parallel string.
Only catches are 1)ps should be 12V and 2) the amp output not exceed the "needs" for the light plus strips..
Using red 5050smd's will not draw too much current..

Might want to consider warm white smd5630's. a lot of red, good power and about the same cost..

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just find the plus and munus on the board.. solder a strip of red LED's to it.
It is just another series/parallel string.
Only catches are 1)ps should be 12V and 2) the amp output not exceed the "needs" for the light plus strips..
Using red 5050smd's will not draw too much current..

Might want to consider warm white smd5630's. a lot of red, good power and about the same cost..
I didn't think 5050s had much draw.
Are you recommending 5630s in place of or in addition to the red 5050s?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want to grow plants and approximate the Yescom color appearance . Well as closely as possible anyway.
It's too blue/white currently that's why I assumed add red.
Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I want to grow plants and approximate the Yescom color appearance . Well as closely as possible anyway.
It's too blue/white currently that's why I assumed add red.
Warm white will warm thecolor and not create any color spotting or too much saturation. Besides you can use them for "stand alone" lighting..unlike plain red..
You could also add these, suggesting the 5:1 R:B like your "pink"..

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point haven't done it yet as found a good deal on a nearly brand new riding mower that couldn't pass up,wiped my finances. I will get to this at some point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.