The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered this...is it a good product? I would be putting it on my 75 gallon.

Can I can grow pretty much anything under it? Is it going to be a big pain as a high light aquarium?

Can I have two lights running, then a full noon burst and then two lights, or is it all wired to the same cord?

If I had a full noon burst, would it be sufficient for any plants?

Thanks.

Adam

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I have the 24" 2x65w version of the light and like it. I took the fans out because they were incredibly loud and I only ran both bulbs for a couple hours. It should have separate power cords for each bank of lights, mine does. I highly recommend the adjustable mounting legs if you decide on this fixture.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be looking at pressurized CO2 and possibly EI, but I would like to avoid fertilizing everyday. I have a high light 14 gallon and I find that I am able to avoid fertilization with a relatively large bioload. I recently pulled out a 1 meter cabomba, a kilogram of water sprite and a 2' red lotus. Algae is minimal. Should have trimmed earlier...

Can this method work in larger tanks, or is EI necessary?

Adam

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you don't want to use CO2, this light is probably too much.

EI is not absolutely necessary. You can test and dose and as needed. But you're taking your chances. EI is soooo simple. 30 seconds a day and you're done. If you want to make it a low tech/low maintenance tank, drop the light to < 2WPG.

How many watts is your 14 gallon? I don't use EI with a 10 gallon with 27W. For tanks < 20 gallons, the WPG rule breaks down. That rule only works for tanks roughlyh 20 - 75 gallons I think. But at 260 W of light, you'd better have everything under control, if this is for a 55 or 75. If the tank is a 90 or 120, you'd probably have a better shot at keeping it low tech.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i have that fixture over a 40gl (48" long). running both banks* without pressurized co2 could be tricky. i have almost no algae issues and i don't do the EI method. i did trigger some gwa before i got the fixture; which led to an amazing neon green tank for a few weeks :)

i'm growing a dwarf hairgrass carpet, some ludwigia repens and christmas moss. dosing as needed. i do a 5hr period of both banks between 3hrs of 1 bank. with 1 bank going you should be able to grow any low-medium light plant; both banks should let you grow anything if your water is clean.

the fans it comes with are annoying. easy to swap out for some pc grade fans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.