The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This shall be my spot for my journal. This will be my second planted tank, and I am super excited.

Lighting;
Aquatic Life dual T5, 1 35 Watt 6k and 1 35 Watt Roseate bulb.

Filtration;
Ehiem 2213

Substrate;
12L of Amazonia Aquasoil

Plants; (as of now, I am a plant noob)
Eleocharis Parvula
Hemianthus Callitricoids

Fauna; (after cycle)
12+ Corydoras Pygmaeus
2 Zebra Otos
Shrimp (unsure, I am a shrimp noob, but I have RCS down lol)

Stones;
15 lbs. Seiryu Stones

CO2
ISTA 45g CO2 Supply Set
ISTA 3 in 1 Diffuser

I needed something small that will be able to be hidden behind the tank, due to where the tank will be set up. I will probably regret getting such a small set up in the long run.

I ordered a piece of branch wood from ADI, hoping it comes in soon. It looks like a tree and looks to be blowing to the side.

Well enough typing now for a few pics...

Now I tried to scape a little but I suck... and waiting for the branch wood to come in which will go on the right side of the tank makes it kind of hard to know what it will look like with out the branch wood, but here are 2 pics..

Any help on rock placement let me know, I think I should have bought a few more rocks from ADG while I was there.. BTW Thanks Frank!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Cool! I see you made a trip to ADG, too.
Same line of plants i used in my 12g long. I used the taiwan moss, flame moss and hair grass. :)

Where did you get the c02?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered from pet supplies now on amazon, but some one told me petco sells it but I went to one on Wesleyan and 59 and didn't see it anywhere. It was $45 and 12 for the refill. If you do order I have a 10% off code you can use.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great start. I'm new to aquascaping but, I think the wood you orderd would look good on the left side with the bulk of the rocks, with a few smaller rocks on the right.
Just my 0.2

Regards, Patrick

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great start. I'm new to aquascaping but, I think the wood you orderd would look good on the left side with the bulk of the rocks, with a few smaller rocks on the right.
Just my 0.2

Regards, Patrick

I think you might be right, that would look pretty good!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, So I am having problems with this ISTA Co2 set up, It leaks from the part that you put on the canister where you adjust the flow.

I know there are some DIY'ers but I suck at building everything. I tried to search on the forum but im either searching the wrong words or something because Im not coming up with anything.

Is there some where to buy a complete set up? Are there any members who build and sell? Or possibly any members who are selling or thinking about selling thier co2 set up.

I heard to look on ebay but my ebay skills suck as well..

Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jake

·
Registered
354 Posts
Can't wait to see how your Corydoras Pygmaeus do in this tank/setup. I was interested in them as well but couldn't find any at my LFS.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
great start! Keep tweaking the stones until you find something that your happy with, your on the right track. those are nice stones.

they are several reg builders on here that could probably sort ya out.

what is the tank sitting on in the pics?

It's just sitting on the box the tank came in, I had knee surgery last month so standing for a while makes it hurt, so I just sat it in the box and pulled up a chair to mess with it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the comments, my bad for not keeping up with this thread or updating it.

Well I was to impatient to try emersed, so after a day I flooded the tank.

Here it is before I flooded it. The lighting is a 6500k bulb and and roseate bulb. I changes the 6500 to a 10k and it looks a lot better. I also finally got my Ehiem running and it made a world of difference in clearing up the water.

I have moved the HC from in front of the HG.

Day 1 after flooding.

Here it is a day 2 after flooding.

Ths 45g ISTA Co2 set up was a waste of money for this tank. I have some one on a local forum who is selling a regulator and a 10lb bottle for a good price. The bottle is expired would I still be able to exchange it for a full bottle?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I don't know if they'd even exchange a bottle of thiers with one you own. I think, at least the shop near me, you have to rent their bottle and then exchange that or have it refilled as needed. It's MUCH cheaper to refill than it is to rent and a 10# bottle should last you quite a while.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doubt it. Believe you would need to get it hydro tested.
I don't know if they'd even exchange a bottle of thiers with one you own. I think, at least the shop near me, you have to rent their bottle and then exchange that or have it refilled as needed. It's MUCH cheaper to refill than it is to rent and a 10# bottle should last you quite a while.
The guy I am going to get it from is going to get it hydro tested at the place he got it from and they will waive the $12 fee if he got it from their and will get it exchanged or refilled.

I love 12g longs. I personally think your start is great but you need a few more stones at least. Subbed!

Thanks, I am waiting on a piece of branch wood in the mail from ADI before I go buy a few more pieces of stones, but a few more will be added. :proud:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Branch wood came in and I boiled it for a few hours, then soaked in a 5 gallon bucket for a few more hours.

Top view.

FTS

1 - 20 of 29 Posts