The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is suppose to be the easiest plant to maintain but somehow i always have trouble with it. The top grows great, but the bottom dies out. Why is that? It's been like this through low-high lighting with Co2.

I just got started on aquarium again, but good thing my aquarium has been running. All i desire right now is to grow my java moss nicely without it dying.
Any simple suggestions for this plant? Or anything that kills it or causes the bottom to die?

Thanks alot, any suggestions or experience will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Is it spread thinly over the object it is on?

Is light ample enough to grow the underlayers?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
i have trouble with it too. algae always grow on it and kill it... But my fish store grows them with no trouble. Their secret is low lighting and ignoring it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not attached to anything, i just put it on the gravel loosely. I hav a 96 watt compact flourescent over my 50 gallon tank. I've used this bulb for about 1 year already. Maybe that's the cause? But then doesn't java moss grow in really low light condition. I mean I've seen tanks where the lights are so dim, but java moss still flourish.

Yes mistergreen, i see fish store grow it beautifully without doing much also. But then they hav fresh stock all the time and I've noticed the distance between the plant and the light is very close.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah i have it, it's just getting too dense for light to hit the bottom layers. you have to trim it, or blast it with light.

·
Registered
38 Posts
its not attached to anything, i just put it on the gravel loosely. I hav a 96 watt compact flourescent over my 50 gallon tank. I've used this bulb for about 1 year already. Maybe that's the cause? But then doesn't java moss grow in really low light condition. I mean I've seen tanks where the lights are so dim, but java moss still flourish.

Yes mistergreen, i see fish store grow it beautifully without doing much also. But then they hav fresh stock all the time and I've noticed the distance between the plant and the light is very close.
Having it attached to a slate or piece of wood or anything really, is the key to making it grow really nicely. In my ten gallon with 2 10 watt fluorescent bulbs, I have a java moss carpet. It is bright, green, and really full and healthy. Because it is on thin pieces of slate, I can just take it all straight out and clean it with a toothbrush to keep debris from accumulating. It has grow an inch and a half since the beginning of January. It grows towards the light and looks like a little lawn. In my experience, moss that is not attached to anything and is in low light grows like tumbleweed, thin and scraggly.

·
Registered
247 Posts
^ i dont agree. i have a freefloating ball of moss that has grown from 10" around to almost 20" around it is very bright green and very pretty in all.

just leave it alone just let it grow on its own without geting the dead parts out before my jmoss started growing it had all died out just for me to find out that it was groing little vains on a little peice of driftwood.

imo the moss you get from the store isint worth anything. i can bet you that anyone here that has moss in there tanks was started in there tanks not bought. (ie. the moss they bought has either died or has been taken out after browning)

what i would do is just tie it to the wood and hope it attaches to the wood
once attached to the wood it will grow just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts