The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this site http://www.aquamoss.net/there is no right way of growing Java mosses.
I introduced a 2 golf ball size of java moss to my tank about 3 months ago ,attached it to a Rock by a hair net and the moss attached itself to the rock but that's it no visible growth yet.assuming all parameters are right on and co2/EI added consistently,is it something I'm missing?does it need a few weeks to get acclimated to the water condition?
Any thoughts ?

Attachments

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
A few weeks yes, but after 3 months, it should have shown some serious growth. If it attached itself to the rock, there must have been growth. You haven't got any moss eaters in that tank? Some fish like to prune mosses a bit.

But since it looks still green and healthy, give it some more time...

Maybe it is made of plastic?:icon_cool

·
Registered
93 Posts
i'd guess you don't have enough light. i have java moss in my tank close to the surface, and it grows like crazy.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually its 3.2 WPG on a 100 g tank and the rock is close to the surface too.
My only guess would be that the small angels are eating it.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Can't be the light. I've heard you can grow moss in a closet ;) . I've only got 18 watts with no reflectors to speak of over a 10 gallon and the stuff will take over, although I'm sure it would take over a lot faster with more light. If I remember correctly, though, it did take it a while before it really settled in and got down to business.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What algae eaters do you have in your tank? SAE's are known to be particularly fond of mosses.

I don't have any SAEs in that tank but have noticed that all my fish from time to time nibble on the food particles that get stock on the moss.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts