The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am outraged. I order plain old simple java moss for 99 cents. 7 days later I recieve a letter in the mail saying my "prohibited aquatic plant" was destroyed. How did this happen? I have ordered java moss before, and everything was fine.....I also want to know has this happend to anyone else in Florida? I guess the only clear option now would be to talk to the seller, but still I want to know what postal codes I violated, and why has this not happend before. Was there a mistake?

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Shipped from where?

SteveU

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Where did you order it from?

In general, the mailing of plants will require a phytosanitary certificate. This is especially true for international shipments, but is applicable to all shipments.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Luck of the draw.

If you want a little bit PM me. You pay the shipping and I'm not responsible for any pests present. It's in my shrimp tanks.

SteveU

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Like Darkblade said, plants shipped internationally require a phytosanitary certificate. From what I've heard, many sellers in or near Malaysia that ship to the US don't bother with the certificate and label the box as "soft toy" or something similar. If customs or security decide to open the box, it's the end of the line.

Ordering plants from overseas is at your own risk. Sometimes it makes it without problem, sometimes not. Sorry for the bluntness, but you probably could have found Java Moss somewhere near you or even from someone on this forum for just as cheap, if not free, and would never have had to deal with this.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Like Darkblade said, plants shipped internationally require a phytosanitary certificate. From what I've heard, many sellers in or near Malaysia that ship to the US don't bother with the certificate and label the box as "soft toy" or something similar. If customs or security decide to open the box, it's the end of the line.

Ordering plants from overseas is at your own risk. Sometimes it makes it without problem, sometimes not. Sorry for the bluntness, but you probably could have found Java Moss somewhere near you or even from someone on this forum for just as cheap, if not free, and would never have had to deal with this.

X2 what he said. three early on ebay buys were from overseas and all three had BS customs statements on them. Soft toy, non operating display model, etc. I also have moss.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
It was shipped from Singapore but the same seller sent me plants before
There's the problem. If customs opens the box, they will destroy the shipment unless the package is accompanied with a phytosanitary certificate. Be glad that they did not fine you.

...many sellers in or near Malaysia that ship to the US don't bother with the certificate and label the box as "soft toy" or something similar. If customs or security decide to open the box, it's the end of the line.
...all three had BS customs statements on them. Soft toy, non operating display model, etc.
:D

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
For reasons that are not at all clear to me US customs blames the buyer for shipments from other countries that are not done correctly. That doesn't make any sense since the buyer has no control at all over how something is shipped, but customs folks pretty well do what they please.

If there is an aquatic plant club near you, and there almost certainly is, given that you live in Florida, join one and that is your best source for all kinds of plants, often free. Most who have planted tanks toss lots of excess plant matter every week after pruning, so they have no problem just giving away the cuttings instead of tossing them out. And, no shipping involved.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
There is also over a dozen legitimate online businesses right here in the USA selling plants and surely something as common as Java moss. Availability changes frequently on a plant like that, but with a little patience its real easy to come by.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Just post a WTB ad in the Swap n Shop forum, you should get your hands on some pretty easily.

I've got some buried in my 29gal somewhere... I'd send it to you if I could find it... LOL

·
Registered
499 Posts
For reasons that are not at all clear to me US customs blames the buyer for shipments from other countries that are not done correctly. That doesn't make any sense since the buyer has no control at all over how something is shipped, but customs folks pretty well do what they please.
I doubt that Customs cares at all who is the buyer or the seller or who is responsible for shipping, they only care who is importing the item. The person bringing the item into the US is the one responsible for ensuring that it meets all applicable regulations. Honestly hobbyists are lucky that Customs has better things do than prosecute people who get small amounts of improperly certified aquatic plants and lets the violators go with warnings.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I doubt that Customs cares at all who is the buyer or the seller or who is responsible for shipping, they only care who is importing the item. The person bringing the item into the US is the one responsible for ensuring that it meets all applicable regulations. Honestly hobbyists are lucky that Customs has better things do than prosecute people who get small amounts of improperly certified aquatic plants and lets the violators go with warnings.
If it is illegal to "import" something, then it has to be illegal for people to send that something to the US. If you stop "Acme Plants r Us" from shipping, by stopping all of their shipments, you are far more effective than when you go after hundreds of individuals, each innocently ordering $5 worth of plants, thinking that to be legal. Try advertising something like cocaine on Ebay, and see how long it is before you are visited by the law enforcement folks. But, you can advertise plants on Ebay, which cannot be legally imported, and nothing happens to you. In that regards Ebay is setting traps for us.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It was shipped from Singapore but the same seller sent me plants before
So you're "outraged" because you broke the law, got caught doing something illegal, and the only thing that happened to you was that the contraband was confiscated? And apparently this wasn't the first time you did something illegal, but only the first time you got caught?

Like others said, just be glad you weren't hit with a fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts