The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Amazing forum --- been using this since day 1 as reference for my planted tank however today I really need an experience aquarist who can tell me about my Java Moss if its dead or still going to survive as most of my plants are doing well (rotala, cabomba, sunset, vallisneria corkscrew and dwarf sagittaria)

I don't have a way to test my tank, can't afford lol (my local store is selling those test kit at very expensive price) ---- but so far most plants are doing well except moss and carpet (very slow), its a low tech setup, size: 14.5 gal, temperature is average of 30 Celsius, I dose flourish excel every 2 days and flourish trace twice a week, light is 12000k T5 HO (2x) --- 10 hours a day. Filter is HOB - Eheim Liberty 2042 if that would help to determine this anomaly.

Looking forward for expert advise. Thanks and Cheers! :)

P.S. I got the java moss dark green and turns light brown T_T its been 1 month now.

Photo:
<br>
<br>

· Plant Whisperer
2,547 Posts
Ammonia burn? What substrate is that?
That is definitely a possibility.

Though 30C (86F) is way too high for most of those plants. Temperature is also likely to be harming the plants, especially the moss which is usually a colder water species. The temperature needs to be below 82F for plants to do well long term. You can add a fan to the tank, angle it so it blows across the surface of the water. It will cool the water by a few degrees.

· Temporarily suspended for violating sales limits
Waterbox Frag 105.4 High Tech
3,584 Posts
When I dosed excel and trace it killed most of my moss. I don't feel like I overdosed but my plants told me I did. I used the standard dose.
So I don't do this anymore and it is growing back.
Some plants respond very poorly to excel. Jungle vals are a classic example.
That moss is definitely dead (unfortunately)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ammonia burn? What substrate is that?
Thanks for the response guys ----
Substrate: Vista Water Plant Soil PH6.5
That is definitely a possibility.

Though 30C (86F) is way too high for most of those plants. Temperature is also likely to be harming the plants, especially the moss which is usually a colder water species. The temperature needs to be below 82F for plants to do well long term. You can add a fan to the tank, angle it so it blows across the surface of the water. It will cool the water by a few degrees.
@ I'll reduce the temperature to 80 F starting today, would that be better for RCS (Cherry Shrimp) too?

When I dosed excel and trace it killed most of my moss. I don't feel like I overdosed but my plants told me I did. I used the standard dose.
So I don't do this anymore and it is growing back.
I'm not overdosing as well but thanks for sharing this experience i'll take note of this.

Some plants respond very poorly to excel. Jungle vals are a classic example.
That moss is definitely dead (unfortunately)
Thanks --- guess time to throw them away :(

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes 80 F would definitely be better for the shrimp.
Thanks mate, i just went back and reduce my temperature --- looking forward for better tank community this year

I've had java moss come back from looking like that. Give it some time and a little flow if they don't get any.
guess I'll give it one more chance, any tips besides the one posted above?

Thanks and happy new year to everyone :)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No problem, let us know how things turn out in the next week or two.
Hi Guys --- 3rd week of my Java Moss tragedy --- confirmed dead, algae detected after removing the remains of my Moss, I learned too much light will definitely kill it as some survive from shade of my rotala, and temperature should not go beyond 80, thanks for the comments and advise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.