The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why can't I grow Java fern of any form? O, O, 6
They turn brown on the ends. I would like a plant that grows slow that will stay short and bushy. It can't be Java fern.

A lot of my stem plants grow so fast they are at the top of the tank almost daily. I need something that stays bushy without pruning it to daily

Any idea's?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anubias might be worth a try. If these plants aren't really root feeders some nutrients in the water stream should also help. Its not clear, are you using EI? If 0,0,6 is the NPK, would you be up for increasing the levels of NO3? I also find that while Java fern will tolerate a pH as high as 8, ferns in general prefer lower pH levels. I confess I am not an expert on raising discus.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops I forgot the PH number it's 6.5
See Sig for fertz. But using EI everything else seens to grow well.
Isn't wendelov a type of Java fern? I will have to look that up.
I have Anubias and they work ok but was trying for a different texture plant

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sorry, I thought you meant no CO2, excel, EI, ect., but then that would mean you also meant no Eheim 2126, 18w UV, ect. and you wouldn't list those unless you had them. :redface:

I am not sure why Java fern wouldn't grow. They do like moving water, but it looks as if you have that covered as well. Take a look at Cryptocoryne, they tend to be slow growing and have similar leaf shape to the java fern. I fear I'm not much help being fairly new to this. I'll keep an eye out for other slow growers. Maybe in the meantime someone that has more experience will step in.

Consider adding CO2. I went eight months without it and after I came up with a diffusion method for my DIY, it only took ten days to realize it's effectiveness. I wish I started adding it sooner. On top of that, Excel is hard on Vallis so even though they would look great in a tall tank I wouldn't recommend them unless you want to watch them melting.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I found this plant from Indonesia. Nomaphila stricta, tolerates a wide range of water qualities, 2-15 dH. It's a moderate to fast grower and tall, (18" ) so you might need to prune it, though if it reaches the water line it should produce a purple flower.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a look at Cryptocoryne, they tend to be slow growing and have similar leaf shape to the java fern
I have also found Excel to be hard on crypts with my high temps.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can ditch the excel and have a beautiful all cryptocoryne tank.
C parva - foreground
C x willisii - midground
C wendtii- midground
C becketii - midground
C spiralis- background
C crispatula var. 'balansae' - background.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Turning brown on the ends/withering would be a sign of potassium deficiency.
While this is true (Plants can not use phosphate or nitrate when they don't have potassium available) your K+ levels are relative to the other Macronutrients you dose. What amounts of NPK are you dosing? If you add K+ but have zero NO3 and PO4 adding Potassium is putting the cart before the horse. Assuming 0,0,6 are your NPK readings in ppm you should try increasing your dosing levels all around.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is what I dose (EI)

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
+/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
+/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
+/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
50% weekly water change

·
Registered
361 Posts
Adding GH booster or Equilibrium with the water change would add K+ as well as some Ca and Mg, otherwise the doses you are using seem more then adequate for NP and trace. What do you use for filter media? I can't understand why your nitrate test is showing 0 ppm (0,0,6).
My Nymphea maculata that you gave me goes straight to the surface with no leaves in between.
This is not good either. Someone has a thread on what causes that.

You know not to plant Java fern in the substrate, yes?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok dumb here, but with Discus won't adding GH or EQ make the pH higher. Discus like it soft. I know Tom Barr is always talking about adding Eq to his water but his is city water.

I up-rooted my Nymphea maculata and it is sending out shoots every where. Now to keep them from going to the surface so fast.

I have the Java fern weighted down not dug in.

Adding GH booster or Equilibrium with the water change would add K+ as well as some Ca and Mg, otherwise the doses you are using seem more then adequate for NP and trace. What do you use for filter media? I can't understand why your nitrate test is showing 0 ppm (0,0,6). This is not good either. Someone has a thread on what causes that.

You know not to plant Java fern in the substrate, yes?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am not suggesting you add GH booster or K+ to your Discus water. I just thought you should know it is another source of K+. I'm not sure what you're saying but GH does not raise pH and neither does GH booster. What do you mean by 0,0,6?

Edited out some of my angst from earlier today. I was headed out the door and misread what you were saying. Sorry if I was short with you; I've been known to be an old fart at times.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Consider adding CO2. I went eight months without it and after I came up with a diffusion method for my DIY, it only took ten days to realize it's effectiveness. I wish I started adding it sooner. On top of that, Excel is hard on Vallis so even though they would look great in a tall tank I wouldn't recommend them unless you want to watch them melting.
I still think you have a Carbon deficiencie and it is the root of all the other nutrient problems. I wish I stuck with that idea before I got sidetracked. DIY CO2 is easy and does amazing things for your plants. Also, it's cheeper then excel. If you start using it you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.
I have also found Excel to be hard on crypts with my high temps.
My water temp is just below 80 dF and with the Cryptocoryne parva and Microsorum pteropus I have propagating, temps lower then 80 dF are not a problem. Any higher temps then that and there might be. When you say high temperatures, I have no idea what you mean. I am going to give up on trying to help. I need to know more about this hobby first. I was hoping dialog would help me learn a few things, but I end up feeling too frustrated by my own ignorance. I am sure you will find out what is going on with your Java fern. It would be nice to get an update when you do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 10 gallon (eclipse 1 hood) with anubias mini, java fern & java moss. I have seen a few new leaves, but the new tips on the java fern are transparent. Some of the anubias mini are turning slightly brown. I thought it was algae, but my thumb wouldn't wipe it off. plants are mounted on driftwood. I have gravel substrate.
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10
PH: 7.5

I have 5 african dwarf frogs and 2 guppies. Is it safe to use any kind of ferts? I would like to use flourish or something similar, but am very hesitant.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have sucessfully used Seachem Potassium for this issue and have not had any more withered tips. Transparent/withered tips is a sign of potassium deficiency. I have Crystal Red Shrimp (known to be very sensitive) in my tank and they are totally unaffected by it!

·
Registered
361 Posts
+1, sort of.

Phosphate (PO4) excess might cause leaves to turn brown by production of iron phosphate. More directly, it might be an iron deficiency but could be due to many reasons, absence of manganese being another. You should look for a report from your local water authority. It would give you a better idea as to what is in your tap water.

Adding potassium is a good idea too, only try Flourish comprehensive. It has potassium, iron and other important trace. For dosing small amount it's affordable. I also recommend adding equilibrium or GH booster. They are mostly made from potassium along with some Ca and Mg. Seachem's equilibrium also has Fe and Mn added. I have never experience a problem with any of these products. It would be extremely difficult too add to much and if you use them both you should have plenty of potassium as well as other micro nutrients. :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
vca2004, thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely pick up some Seachem Potassium next time I pass by Big Al's.
I think tug's info was meant more for the op, but I took a look at my local water report and it only showed about a dozen items which didn't include phosphate, iron, potassium, Ca, Mg or anything else mentioned.

**I tried to post a link to the water report, but apparently I do not have enough posts to post a link.

I'd love to try Flourish Comprehensive, but cannot get a clear answer as to whether or not it's safe to use with African Dwarf Frogs. I've even made a couple posts on ADF forums without any luck.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi shotcaller,
I don't know what you were looking at, but a water report would list some (if not all) of the items you mentioned. I don't need a link if you cut and past the web address.

Equilibrium will give you more then enough K+ while at the same time adding some minerals. What exactly is it that you think will harm those frogs?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts