Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank stats:

40g breeder
96w PC (6700k/10000k) - 6-8 hours a day
Excel Dosing (1 cap per day)
Rena XP2 filter

My Java Ferns have slowly gone downhill over the past few months. I even got some brand new ones off someone here and they arrived in perfect condition. Within two weeks they were turning brown. Now I have had Java Ferns for nearly three years. Two of my bunches covered half the 40g from front to back, side to side at one point! I have no idea what I am doing wrong. This is the same light I have always had above it too. Nothing new, except bulb changes every 6 months.

Sorry the photos aren't the best. My camera isn't working so I had to use my cell-phone.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not dosing any nutrients but my stocklist is:

12 White Clouds
6 Curvicep Cichlids
12 (or so) < 1" Plecos (grow out since the tank does get sunlight, so algae heaven on one side)
5 Skunk Cories

Sort of figured there was enough nutrients from the fish waste, since I had fewer fish before and the Java flourished.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
They turn black and brown from a lack of CO2.
Excel will not do it. Too much light also. Excel is okay with lower light.

I've got massive amounts of this plant in several tanks and have for several years. It's pretty nutrient tolerant, but the CO2/light, that is the main issue for this plant and for most issues.

Work on that.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So knock down the light and go with CO2? Gotcha.

Odd how all this started only a few months ago, even before I moved (about three months ago). *shrugs*. Whatever.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've since added DIY CO2 (using wine yeast) into an old crummy Aquaclear powerhead I had sitting around. The mist is awesome. I get bubbles from side to side.

In the week this has been running I am already seeing a difference in the plants. The brown is starting to go away, the green is much brighter, and oddly my fish are more colorful.

I still have the 96w PC above the tank but I raised it up to 6" off the tank. My light for my other tank with the 65w hasn't come in yet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i also have this problem with my java fern...so i just need to knock down the light?....or maybe its my temperature...its quite warm...as in 29C

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stunning !

:fish1:

thats a stunning java fern tank !! i also have brown java fern, doesnt look like his (top) gone brown on tops of leaves, so thats a lack of CO2? or too much light? hmm seemed to get worse when i put it in the lower light tank, though that was less stocked with fish too.

They turn black and brown from a lack of CO2.
Excel will not do it. Too much light also. Excel is okay with lower light.

I've got massive amounts of this plant in several tanks and have for several years. It's pretty nutrient tolerant, but the CO2/light, that is the main issue for this plant and for most issues.

Work on that.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
179 Posts
not to hijack but while were on the topic I have a windelov java fern where only the skinny tips where it branches out like a trident turn brown (all the rest is dark green and healthy looking) is there something I can do to prevent that or a way to trim it off without affecting the plant?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.