The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a dart frog vivarium. I was thinking about using some Java Fern. I know it does well emersed in high humidity setups...like a dart frog viv. What I don't know is...does it do ok going from submersed to emersed? As aquarium/aquascapers...we usually do the opposite. So just wondering how it would work in reverse.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It does well from my experience with it in turtle tanks. I'm not sure about humidity affect, though as my turtle set up is temperate not tropical (humidity 55-65%)

*Edit- I've let it grow tied to a piece of driftwood and trained up to the dock area. I assume taking it from submerged to emerged is similar.

·
Super Moderator
17,169 Posts
It's worked well for me in my vivs in the past. In fact, the ferns I used in my thumbnail viv for a few years originally came from a shrimp tank. After my elderly frogs all died, it went back into an aquarium and is alive today. Have had it since about 2010.

I had a bit of an issue with partial die off as it adjusted but it wasn't bad. Only a leaf or two needed to be trimmed away.

If you have enough to split so you have multiple portions, go that route. That way you have leftovers in case it kicks the bucket. (But I bet it'll work fine for you)

·
Super Moderator
17,169 Posts
Grabbed a huge chunk of fern from the sales section to give it a go. I think I'm also going to try some emersed buce in the viv as well.
I think both will work really well for you.

Just be sure you keep them a lot more humid and misted for several weeks as they transition. They'll need more support than other plants, though not permanently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.