The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a large Java Fern that has a bunch of little plantlets under one of its' leaves. I would like to attach these to driftwood, but do not even know where to start to do this right. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That's good to know because I have the same thing happening to my plant also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once I have the plantlets separate from the original, how big should they need to be before I can attach them to a rock or a piece of driftwood? And how should I attach them to where I want them?

·
Registered
56 Posts
What I tend to do is remove the entire leaf which the plantlets are growing on once they have the stringy roots and tie the whole leaf to the rock or wood , the leaves usally die once the babies fall off anyhow and it will support the newbies untill they attach themselves.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I tend to do is remove the entire leaf which the plantlets are growing on once they have the stringy roots and tie the whole leaf to the rock or wood , the leaves usally die once the babies fall off anyhow and it will support the newbies untill they attach themselves.
Great idea, thanks!

·
Registered
689 Posts
The presence of a rhizome vs a rhizoid will usually tell the tale of plant maturity when it comes to attaching a plant to a rock or driftwood. Once those plantlets have the beginning of a rhizome they will be more than ready to attach to a structure. When they are so small that they only have visible rhizoids they are almost impossible to attach to anything and even harder to keep attached if you do manage to get them on there.

People have been discussing the use of crazy glue/gel in aquariums though. If you pull the plantlets off and crazy glue them they may stay as long as you don't cover the rhizoids.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if they do become seperated can they just floay for awhile and grow out that way too? I have some in nead of some major tlc too. I've had them for years and they are so not looking good right now.
I wondered about this too; I know that terrestrial epiphytic plants will just fall off and grow where they land, and I was curious about whether Java Fern will do this too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.