The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got a nice looking Java fern which is potted in a plastic pot with pores and cotton . It looks good as it it. Do I leave it as it is or uproot it and fix it to my driftwood.

Want to know what are the pros and cons of the two approaches?

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Take it out, clean the roots of cotton and attach to a driftwood/ rock.
I don't see any pros, just cons. Do you really want that plastic pot or decomposing cotton in your tank? The plant wants to spread out its roots and feed off some fat rotting wood. I say set it free.

I have never seen Java Fern cultivated that way. A picture would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am enclosing the Flickr image- don't know if it will show. This is shot from top- the pot is not visible. Will get a better image shortly

Bump: flikr doesn't seem to work. Which website can i use to upload images? Drag and drop is not working well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/27284130480/in/dateposted-public/

Also my driftwood is not very thick. It is more like a root branch. I have other smaller pieces of flat driftwood disperesed across the tank which act as Pleco resting places.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The most natural way to get it to attach is to position the thing you want it grown on so it is partially above the surface. You can then just drape it loosely so it is in the water deep enough that the top portions stay in contact with the wet exposed surface (the canopy keeps in moisture and there is normally some wicking in wooden surfaces, keeping it wet). I'm not a fan of the way it grows when tied to something. Prettiest way for me personally, is to grow them from individual leaves, the pattern they form over the surface is very intricate and a really clever design. I'd keep them close to the light while waiting for them to grab hold.

·
Banned
483 Posts
my idea

I had an idea this week to break some chollah wood apart and attach it to that with moss string or zip ties. The holes were not big enough for the root bulb, and it was really hard to get the string around the rhizome.I think if you had some object with a hole in it you could tie it to that and let it sink, or just plant it. There is some anubis in my tank and zip tying it so a piece of chollah worked really well.

The most natural way to get it to attach is to position the thing you want it grown on so it is partially above the surface. You can then just drape it loosely so it is in the water deep enough that the top portions stay in contact with the wet exposed surface (the canopy keeps in moisture and there is normally some wicking in wooden surfaces, keeping it wet). I'm not a fan of the way it grows when tied to something. Prettiest way for me personally, is to grow them from individual leaves, the pattern they form over the surface is very intricate and a really clever design. I'd keep them close to the light while waiting for them to grab hold.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Thas why I said, drape it over the object you want, while it is semi above water, right under the light. It will hold on like a wet tissue. It only has to stay like this for about 2 weeks until it grabs hold by itself.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thas why I said, drape it over the object you want, while it is semi above water, right under the light. It will hold on like a wet tissue. It only has to stay like this for about 2 weeks until it grabs hold by itself.
If you have a pictorial depiction of what you are trying to convey it would be great-though I kind of imagine what it would be like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.