The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my java fern is turning brown and holes are appearing through out it, whats my problem???? my tank is a 46 gal running around 2.5 watts a gal, no co2 but have plant tabs and liquid fertilizer :help:

·
Returning. Videotapes.
1,389 Posts
Are you adding nitrogen? It could be either that it isn't getting enough nitrogen, or that you have it under too much light. I suggest moving it to a "shadier" place in your tank, if possible. Otherwise, cut back on your lighting or photoperiod. Java Fern needs almost no light to grow healthy, and under any lighting greater than 1.5 watts/gallon, it can wilt and die back. It won't completely die, but it will look burnt and unsightly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
How is it planted? Do you have it tied to a rock or driftwood? I know java fern turns transparent under high light, but I doubt 2.5w/g can be considered high light in a 46g tank.

·
Returning. Videotapes.
1,389 Posts
Oh, Chrona.....you'd be surprised! If it is tied to driftwood midway up in the tank, the lighting intensity could turn it black!!

I hope he doesn't have the rhizome buried!! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the fern is close to half way up in my tank tied to a log, how would i restrict light to just that plant???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts