The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My java ferns are covered in plantlets. Is this sort of growth normal? Are the always going to be covered in this hairy matter?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My java ferns are covered in plantlets. Is this sort of growth normal? Are the always going to be covered in this hairy matter?
Yup that's a feature of Java Fern, brown hairy roots.

Celebrate that it's making baby plants! You get lots of new plants from these, you just let them grow out, floating in a quiet, low flow corner of your tank. Pretty soon they're big enough to attach to driftwood, or push a couple of their roots into the gravel. They will soon attach to a lot of gravel with their other roots, ( don't bury their rhizome..) and become a moveable plant that stays where you place them.

Pretty soon they'll look like this..:laugh2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Seems more common in damaged plants. I've seen dozens of healthy Java Fern
in stores that have none of those. But if memory serves they started up quickly
on a J. Fern plant that I had which had been subjected to too much air.
Be sure that when you adjust/change your scape that you fully submerge the leaves
of J. Fern under the water while this is going on. A couple of days after I re-set up the tank portions of the leaves turned black and died.
Those plantlets grew in a few places along the edges of the black spots.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool

I'll probably just let them drop organically, and see how it looks. I have them under where the water shoots out from the filter, and the RCS love that entire space of the tank. They all pile on to the backs of the leaves.

Yup that's a feature of Java Fern, brown hairy roots.

Celebrate that it's making baby plants! You get lots of new plants from these, you just let them grow out, floating in a quiet, low flow corner of your tank. Pretty soon they're big enough to attach to driftwood, or push a couple of their roots into the gravel. They will soon attach to a lot of gravel with their other roots, ( don't bury their rhizome..) and become a moveable plant that stays where you place them.
Bump: This is my first acquarium, I ordered the plants online, the backs of the leaves are literally covered with out growth and sprouting leaves, so it's trying to reproduce, do you think this is a bad sign?

Be sure that when you adjust/change your scape that you fully submerge the leaves
of J. Fern under the water while this is going on. A couple of days after I re-set up the tank portions of the leaves turned black and died.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Mine grow from damaged, older, and undamaged leaves, There's no real rhyme or reason. I've got plantlets that are sporting little tiny plantlets on their leaves. They even grow from the roots of really big ones sometimes.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scissors

When I got them this stuff started growing and I thought it was algae and I decided to cut the tips off the top, so it's possible I damaged the plant and somehow jump started the plantlet process?

Mine grow from damaged, older, and undamaged leaves, There's no real rhyme or reason. I've got plantlets that are sporting little tiny plantlets on their leaves. They even grow from the roots of really big ones sometimes.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Bump: This is my first acquarium, I ordered the plants online, the backs of the leaves are literally covered with out growth and sprouting leaves, so it's trying to reproduce, do you think this is a bad sign?
Are the adult plant's putting out regularly occurring new leaves? Are the new leaves growing with a good sized transparent triangular tip at the growing end?

It's not unusual for stressed Java Fern to make a lot of new plantlets. but I cannot say that my plants presently are really stressed, fact is they're doing really good. If your plants are coming along well (and most Java Fern are pretty easy going about adjusting to new water conditions..) I'd not worry too much. The thing to be looking for is fresh, new, vigorous growth from all the Java Ferns, both adult and the plantlets.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Mine do this as well. My windelov Java Ferns would turn into huge bushes if I let them with all the baby plants they produce. I don't let them because the leaves tend to be gunk collectors, so I pick the babies off and keep the parent plants compact. Now if my Needle Leaf would make babies that fast, I'd be happy. I love Needle Leaf Java Fern.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
breeding colony

It looks like a breeding colony. There are almost as many plantlets as leaves, they have been in the tank for two months now. IT's something like 30% total coverage in plantlets, all on the back sides. The biggest leave has several plantlets that are about 10-15% the size of the leaf growing the babies.

Are the adult plant's putting out regularly occurring new leaves? Are the new leaves growing with a good sized transparent triangular tip at the growing end?

It's not unusual for stressed Java Fern to make a lot of new plantlets. but I cannot say that my plants presently are really stressed, fact is they're doing really good. If your plants are coming along well (and most Java Fern are pretty easy going about adjusting to new water conditions..) I'd not worry too much. The thing to be looking for is fresh, new, vigorous growth from all the Java Ferns, both adult and the plantlets.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
When I got them this stuff started growing and I thought it was algae and I decided to cut the tips off the top, so it's possible I damaged the plant and somehow jump started the plantlet process?
Yeah that could have been a stressor, did you save the bits you cut off?

You can sometimes get them to become new plants.

Best leave them be and let them do their thing for a month or so before doing more surgery. Best not to cut the leaves until they start looking really ratty. They can be covered in diatoms and still be quite healthy, they're incredibly tough plants.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not touching them

Yea, I'm not touching them. I thought it was something bad (algaue) which i why I cut off the tips, I did not save those parts. They seem healthy and I'm looking forward to having that side of the tank get massive density.

Yeah that could have been a stressor, did you save the bits you cut off?

You can sometimes get them to become new plants.

Best leave them be and let them do their thing for a month or so before doing more surgery. Best not to cut the leaves until they start looking really ratty. They can be covered in diatoms and still be quite healthy, they're incredibly tough plants.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.