The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a java fern than I absolutely want to keep and it is very healthy and a good size. Recently I had to get rid of some plants due to algae and my java fern has some algae but not too bad and don't want to get rid of it. I fixed my situation and hopefully it wont come back. My java fern has a tiny case of bba. Not too bad just, little black hair growing on its leaf edges. some tiny strands are on the leaves randomly but mostly on the edges of some leaves. How can I get rid of it? I put about 6 ml of excel in a syringe last night and released it under water around the java fern leaves. Today I don't see any difference... What now? Was that too little for it too leave? Should I use a bleach solution and if so what is a good recipe for a safe bleach to water ratio? Please help because I don't want to lose this fern.

Also, the rhizomes that are brown have a light brown fuzz all over them...is this normal for java ferns because it is on all the brown rhizomes or is this algae?

Thanks all

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
The easiest answer from my experience is to up your co2 (if possible) and reduce your lighting period a bit, while making sure your ferts are good and you keep up with water changes. If your conditions are good and your fern grows fast you will have less BBA, but if your conditions aren't ideal and your fern grows strong it will be more difficult to prevent BBA. I've also found cutting off affected leaves is better than treating. This will generate new leaves quicker. If new leaves don't grow in then the plant will be difficult to keep 'clean' long-term so I wouldn't worry about cutting off the leaves.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Dip the plant in a 19:1 ratio of water to bleach for 30 sec. Then soak in de-chlorinated water for 10 min. That's what I do. It gets rid of algae and snails :)

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
can the bleach kill the java fern or is this relatively safe? Also, how should i cut the leaves on the java fern, just cut the whole leave off down to the main rhizome? I find it funny that i never had bad algae issues with diy co2 on the same setup. I switched to pressurized and i've been getting nothing but trouble lol.

·
Super Moderator
12,029 Posts
Java fern is a pretty tenacious plant, so a 19:1 bleach dilution should be OK, provided you don't do a prolonged dip.

As for pruning the leaves of the Java Fern, I cut the whole leaf right at the rhizome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.