The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching around the Forum and web trying to identify this growth on a bunch of my Java fern leaves. They seem to have appeared out of nowhere, although my busy schedule may have made me not as observant. In my search, I came across galls, but the articles and posts I’ve seen are much darker bumps and clumpy, whereas these are ruddy and spread apart.
I have bladder snails and a pair for nerites, but nerite eggs would be white, correct? Otherwise I have a shoal of exclamation rasboras, embers, and a few ottos.
I cut the affected leaves off just in case. If anyone could confirm, or suggest what this might be, I’d be thankful for the guidance if they continue appearing.
Terrestrial plant Plant Organism Moisture Liquid Plant Botany Leaf Terrestrial plant Vegetation

Now, I’m reading about spores. I’ve had these plants for over two years, and never have seen them spore before. So if they are, I feel like an idiot!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now, I’m reading about spores. I’ve had these plants for over two years, and never have seen them spore before. So if they are, I feel like an idiot!
I have not personally seen this... but I'm gonna say spores? I'm curious as well now lol

And yes, nerite eggs are white so definitely not that

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they are spores.
[/QUOTE]
Oh well. I know for next time. I hope cutting the leaves off won’t do too much harm to them. I’ve had these Java ferns for a number of years now and have propagated them several times. This is the first time any of them produced spores! Thank for the confirmation!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts