The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some Java Fern with healthy leaves and some very deteriorated leaves (almost just stem). The reason for the bad leaves is the plant adjusting to my water parameters and me moving the aquascape around a lot, so I was wondering if i should just cut off the leafless stem? or leave it?.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Trim off all the dead leaves . Java Fern is the one of the most hardy of all the tank plants . I have a large bunch that is 15 + years old and has been through some of the poorest conditions imaginable and have given me more daughter plants than I can use . That is the one thing I don't care for with the Java.....every WC I find another plantlet stuck to my filter intakes....lol

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
You can cut off the very bad leaves. Although I prefer to still keep at least one leaf on, but many have cut all their leaves off, leaving just the rhizome and it still regrows. I do like to keep the cut off leaves floating around as there is a chance a new java fern plant will grow from the leaves.

I have moved Java fern around quite a lot and it never melts. You sure you are not burying the rhizome?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can cut off the very bad leaves. Although I prefer to still keep at least one leaf on, but many have cut all their leaves off, leaving just the rhizome and it still regrows. I do like to keep the cut off leaves floating around as there is a chance a new java fern plant will grow from the leaves.

I have moved Java fern around quite a lot and it never melts. You sure you are not burying the rhizome?
I them tied to some rocks so they've never melted but I probably damaged some of the leaves with my rescaping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.