The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I recently got some water lettuce and java fern and they are not doing too well. The lettuce's leaves are yellowing and falling off one by one and the some of the Java's leaves are turning brown and will probably die too.What is happening??
Tank: 7 gallons
Light: 11w fluorescent, hung about 4-5 inches above the waterline
Filter: basic HOB, not super efficient
Temperature: 79 F
Fertilizers: just added first dose of a fertilizer rich in iron and a bunch of other stuff(potassium, bore, manganese,cobalt,molybden)
I only added the fertilizer AFTER the plants started having issues
Fauna: 1 Male Betta Fish
Flora: Bunch of other plants doing just fine

When I get home I'll try to remember to post pictures of my 40b stand, its a 2x4 stand that could fit a 20l on the bottom

And now the new crypts are starting to melt and the Bacopas are yellowing...I don't understand, what is happening? I have had the first batch of plants for 2 months now and they are alll still fine(java fern windelov, anubias, anacharis, valisneria etc). I have changed nothing, if anything the tank is further along in the nitrogen cycle than it was back then :(

As promised here are the pictures the first two are the 40b stand and the third is a 6 foot stand that holds my tv and two 20l on the bottom. FYI they are the same color one is freshly stained and the other is covered in dust. As I said it is a 100% 2x4 stand that has the top and bottom shelves made out of 2x4's that have been ran through a table saw to get straight edges and then 6/5 of those are glued together and clamped till the glue dries. It's a heavy stand for how small it is and it is very sturdy. I weigh 200lbs and I couldn't get it to budge and with the tank filled and on it now it has no wobble, but you could add extra supports to the back, just like you can see in the third picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, water is at 79 F because I have a Betta fish in there, who is a new buy and came with finrot. I am slowly getting rid of the finrot with clean water and temps on the higher side. Camboba has now died(entirely) but only 2 Crypt leaves have melted and I pruned the fern. The lettuce seems to be headed in the right direction. Who knows, maybe they just need to adjust? I hope I've seen the worst of it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Depending on the cabomba species, there are many ways they can die. Many people often make the mistake of buying more demanding Cabomba (ex: pulcherrima, aquatica, and furcata). Some of them, like aquatica tend to like cooler conditions, but all three mentioned appreciate added co2 with joy. The easiest one to keep tends to be Cabomba caroliniana, which tend to grow very well, only to crash and struggle all of a sudden. Anacharis is also a cool temperate plant, that doesn't take kindly to warm conditions, often melting away. This may also be said for some type of Vallisneria.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
My water lettuce does fine in 80 degree temps, but does require high light. I use 23 watt CFL's just inches from the surface. I think you should lower the light closer to the lettuce and see if that works. Mine get algae growing on the roots quickly when I fertilize, but there isn't sufficient light. Hope the betta gets well soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.