The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was recently given a bunch of Java Fern to put in my well established 50G tank. Read up on it (a ton) and have done everything I'm supposed to do (tied it to rocks/driftwood, giving it plenty of light, water movement, etc).
Current lighting is one x 54w T5NO fixture (2 x 6500k bulbs) 12h timer. The tank also gets about an hour of good sunlight in the afternoon.

How long will it take for these plants to attach and begin to show vibrant health, growth, and color? From what I've read, this species is pretty "idiot proof" and does well in just about any type of environment.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Was recently given a bunch of Java Fern to put in my well established 50G tank. Read up on it (a ton) and have done everything I'm supposed to do (tied it to rocks/driftwood, giving it plenty of light, water movement, etc). Current lighting is one x 54w T5NO fixture (2 x 6500k bulbs) 12h timer. The tank also gets about an hour of good sunlight in the afternoon.

How long will it take for these plants to attach and begin to show vibrant health, growth, and color? From what I've read, this species is pretty "idiot proof" and does well in just about any type of environment.
Hi RD3557,

My experience has been that Java Ferns will typically start showing new growth after the roots have become established and starting to attach to the hardscape; typically a 3-4 weeks with adequate light and some ferts.

·
Registered
283 Posts
HAHAHa Java fern need not be rooted for it to show growth! I have many free floating java fern, as well as Java fern that like to sit in different parts of the tank.

Variables including Temp, also affect growth rate. In my experience this plant propagates quickly but grows slowly. Attachments can be weak, and are sometimes hard to come by.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
From what I remember, they are pretty slow growing.

but they are incredibly durable, so, I know it isn't too helpful, but just wait a few weeks and see.

maybe take a pic now, and compare it to how it looks a month or two down the line, it's hard for us to notice the change since it happens gradually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts