The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I came up with an idea to use my black Gravel. I made a little area that no plants will grow in unless I think it does after letting my plants grow in a bit. I made a river shape from the back to the front of the tank and my tetras are enjoying it as I speak. I used stones my manager gave me to try and hide the joining of flourite and Black gravel. That is the background of the tank. Now for the Pros and Cons

PROS
Plants have been growing in healthily.
I had gotten Microsword for a foreground.
Fish seem to have more swimming room.

CONS
Bought 2 Otos, 1 died the other disappeared.
Had 5 Neon Tetras, now have 4 due to one disappearing.
Had the flourite cloud on me when adding water to my tank after getting everything situated in the order wanted.
Have too much Anachris.

Now the disappearing Fish is a mystery to me. I cant understand where they could have gone. No dead bodies on the floor or in the filter. Another one of lifes mysteries....

Now for whats in my tank:

Fauna:
2 Platy
Male Betta
4 Neon Tetra

Flora:
Green Cambomba
Sunset Hygro
Brazilian Pennywort
Moneywort
Ceylon Hygro
Rotala Rotundifolia(maybe sp. green)
Anachris
Primrose
Java Moss
Petite Nana
Wendtii Crypt
Crypt Spiralis(always thought it was balansae but not)
Microsword

I have a bunch of Anachris(Thanks tpl*co) and will be giving some away at the next SAPS Meeting. I have DIY CO2 and Dose Nitrates, Sulfate, Phosphate. Now for pics:

Full Tank(sort of)

Green Cambomba, Sunset Hygro, and others.

Petite nana on one of the overlooming pieces of driftwood.

Microsword in front right of tank.

Microsword in front left of tank.

Java Moss on another overlooming piece of Drifwood.

Sorry for the long post but thought share my current tank.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It looks really nice IMO, though those pictures are pretty blurry (no offense). And Anarchis is awesome :D Sorry for your fish disappearances as well.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol no problem this is a plant forum not a photography forum :smile:
If you don't mind me asking, where do you work? Your boss seems to be into aquariums? (an LFS?) Just curious.
LOL my apartment manager. Her ex was into cameras and she has a bunch that she dont know anything about. She is too lazy to get up into her closet to grab a few.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Looks pretty cool dude. I like that you have hardscape in this one. Have fun funding dead fish in ther though.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks pretty cool dude. I like that you have hardscape in this one. Have fun funding dead fish in ther though.
The hardscape was from previous ideas. I had the stones from my first attempt with the plants(like in January), the driftwood that has the anubias on it was from the aquascape after, and the moss driftwood was from my latest. This was a combination of them all creating what I call a "river" in the tank.

I doubt I would find dead fish due to there are no bodies. I checked the entire tank. Wednesday is water change day and I will check then for lost fishies.

For the project in my sig I have this see through water change bowl that is just big enough for a female betta. I was planning on getting Shrimp(Ghost) but was unsure on plants besides Moss. What do you guys think, instead of me starting a new thread about this I'd post it here. Also what should I do as far as filtration?

I dont think even an Azoo(spl) Palm filter would work on this due to the height.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like the tank so far. It should grow out pretty well. You just need a better camera!!! No offense. I just wanna see more pictures with better res.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
They're way better than his older pics, you can see what they are now(no offense james)

·
Registered
862 Posts
I noticed you have 13 different plant species. That seems like a lot for 10 gal. Not much room for all of them to grow out. It looks pretty darn cool right now though. :)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed you have 13 different plant species. That seems like a lot for 10 gal. Not much room for all of them to grow out. It looks pretty darn cool right now though. :)
I totally agree. Right now htese are the species I have:

Green Cambomba
Sunset Hygro
Brazilian Pennywort
Ceylon Hygro
Rotala Rotundifolia(maybe sp. green)
Anachris
Primrose
Java Moss
Petite Nana
Wendtii Crypt
Crypt Spiralis(always thought it was balansae but not)
Microsword

I am willing to get rid of some at the next SAPS meeting but sure what. I want to keep the Java Moss, Petite nana, Microsword, Wendtii Crypt, and Rotala. What else should I keep?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Lighting!lighting!lighting!
Co2 won't do much good until you hit the right lighting levels!
it's like a car(import mind you), if you install a turbo kit, it's a lot of money, but a lot of horsepower, where as is you get the cylinders bored, its a lot of moey and not as much HP. the co2 will boost planbt growth, but not as much as lighting.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lighting!lighting!lighting!
Co2 won't do much good until you hit the right lighting levels!
it's like a car(import mind you), if you install a turbo kit, it's a lot of money, but a lot of horsepower, where as is you get the cylinders bored, its a lot of moey and not as much HP. the co2 will boost planbt growth, but not as much as lighting.
Okay gotcha. Now to see if that lighting fixture wouldd work for aquariums.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bad News

Nothing can possibly go wrong now. I had found my tank with yeast in it after coming back from lunch. I had done a 60% water change and had Lost 1 Neon Tetra and the other platy. Now I have:

1 Betta
3 Neon Tetra

My numbers are going down. IDK why this has to happen to me. I am almost tired of all of this, almost about ready to make this plants only! But here is what Im thinking, 1 more death and Im going to start completley over with fish. Going to get rid of the rest of the fish and make sure the tank is cycled and add fish very slowly(1 at a time or 3 depending on if schoolers). But thats only if another fish dies and if I have a place to send them.

But on a good note I had got the Tank nice looking and will try to take good pics of the tank when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
That's sucks. Didn't you have a check valve?

I hope all goes well. For me, I have a 10 gallon but that tank is very very neglected now. Nonetheless planted of course :-D. I'm focusing on smaller tanks now. Much much more manageable.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a 10g planted too. I don't even bother with a check valve, and simply keep the water in the soda bottle below 3 inches from the cap and have never had any issues. As a side note though, without a check valve, you need to be sure your mixture cools to room temperature before capping it, or it WILL draw tank water into the bottle.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's sucks. Didn't you have a check valve?

I hope all goes well. For me, I have a 10 gallon but that tank is very very neglected now. Nonetheless planted of course :-D. I'm focusing on smaller tanks now. Much much more manageable.
Yeah I have a check valve and that is what got me. So I switched the check valv and created a DIY Bubble Counter. I took a powerade bottle and drilled a hole in the side top and cap of bottle and stuck the hose in the side hole that leads from the CO2 generator(soda bottle) to the bubble counter. Then another hose from the cap to the tank. Im hoping it goes well too. The only thing to do now is wait for the water to clear and then it should be fine.

Chrona said:
I have a 10g planted too. I don't even bother with a check valve, and simply keep the water in the soda bottle below 3 inches from the cap and have never had any issues. As a side note though, without a check valve, you need to be sure your mixture cools to room temperature before capping it, or it WILL draw tank water into the bottle.
My water is very cool. I just dont want to take any more chances. Im going to be keeping a close eye on it.

1 - 20 of 179 Posts