The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! I’m hoping someone has tried jacks hydroponic ferts on here before. I know everyone says not to use MG as it has heavy metals, but Jacks does not.. Can anyone offer me a little understanding about the risk that would apply (if any) to using jacks? What should I look out for ingredient wise? What type of livestock could be harmed? I sure appreciate the education.
did reach out to jacks, and they don’t want to go on record saying it’s fully safe for the livestock because they haven’t done the necessary testing. They advise me to seek an expert in aquaculture. I’m sure some of you guys are just as experienced so I’m starting here first.
Just for clarification I’ll be using Jacks 5-12-26 combined with calcium nitrate, and Epsom salts. I would ideally make up a “321” mix @ ~1000ppm in a gallon jug with my rodi water, and just add some until my tanks ppms get to about 300.
Do any of you have any suggestions or even experience with jacks, thanks again for your opinions!
Font Material property Rectangle Parallel Brand

Font Material property Parallel Pattern Number

Product Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Why would you buy this instead of just buying the salts yourself?

I can tell you that I know a large number of planted tankers from around the world, and not one uses a solution like that.

Dry salts are cheap. KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, CaSO4, MgSO4 are all readily available. Those and some micro nutrients are all you need. And when you buy them yourself you can mix them to any ratios you like.

Just not sure why you would want to reinvent the wheel??

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
I know everyone says not to use MG as it has heavy metals, but Jacks does not..
I don't have answers for your questions but I'm a little confused by the opening sentences. Who says not to use MG? It's necessary for plant growth. If Jack's does not have heavy metals why does it list the concentration of heavy metals it contains? It seems you have a concern about adding heavy metals and they are absolutely necessary for plant growth. Manganese and iron are both heavy metals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greggz
Thanks, I dosed about a total of 35ppms. Toe in the pool. I’ll watch the fish AND the greenery and for sure post back hopefully with some positive results.

Kubla
Well it’s just something I picked up from other people, I honestly don’t even understand the documents I posted. That’s kinda why I’m here. I was hoping someone a lot smarter than myself tell me what’s what.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts