·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I missed one day of micro. Is that all it really takes for the tank to completely break out in algae madness?! Damn!

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you could elaborate a bit it would really help me out. Your saying I have a N or P issue plus something else is going on...

I need some advise peeps. Even a link to some journals with similar issues would help.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
It's very difficult to diagnose algae problems over the net, but missing a day of adding micros would not, by itself, cause an algae outbreak. It could be many factors, such as an imbalanced microbial community. It is a relatively new tank so you should expect some algae or a lot of algae. Make sure the plant is not deficient, wait, and be patient.

·
Registered
57 Posts
First of all, great looking tank!

That doen't seem like an unusal amount of algae for a new tank. Remove as much of it by hand as you can, as often as you can. Give it some time.

Some of your HC is browning slightly. Have you thought about adding a powerhead on the side of the tank opposite the filter? They're an eyesore, but it would be worth picking one up and running it for a few weeks so you can determine whether or not lack of flow is causing the browing or contributing to the algae. I reluctanly added a powerhead to my 12 gallon long iwagum after getting a lot of hair algae and browning HC on the stagnant end. I've only had it a week, but the initial resutls have been promising.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First of all, great looking tank!

That doen't seem like an unusal amount of algae for a new tank. Remove as much of it by hand as you can, as often as you can. Give it some time.

Some of your HC is browning slightly. Have you thought about adding a powerhead on the side of the tank opposite the filter? They're an eyesore, but it would be worth picking one up and running it for a few weeks so you can determine whether or not lack of flow is causing the browing or contributing to the algae. I reluctanly added a powerhead to my 12 gallon long iwagum after getting a lot of hair algae and browning HC on the stagnant end. I've only had it a week, but the initial resutls have been promising.

I have thought about adding a powerhead but I choose the Eheim 2215 because it is more than enough flow for this tank and even possibly to much. So, I don't think flow is my problem. What filter we you using on your 12 long before you added a power head?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have thought about adding a powerhead but I choose the Eheim 2215 because it is more than enough flow for this tank and even possibly to much. So, I don't think flow is my problem. What filter we you using on your 12 long before you added a power head?
Eheim 2232, with inline heater and reactor. It's rated for 127 gph. The flow was great near the intake and outflow, but there was hardly any water movement at the far end. The 12 gallon Mr. Aqua looks great, but its length can create circulation issues.

Down the road I'd like to ditch the powerhead and buy a 2236 so I can go back to not having any equipment in the tank. I wanted to make sure flow was the issue for before purchasing a new filter and a cheap powerhead does the job for now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try adding some Amano shrimp and/ or SAE. They will clean the algae up. Remove the SAE when they get too big and aggressive. It's less expensive then the power head. You might need to crank the CO2 up gradually and your otos will probably adjust accordingly.

Have you tried adding Excel or spot treating with Excel? How often are you changing your water and how much of it do you change? I sometimes have issue in my tank with the BBA and it usually happens after I do a massive trim in my tank. You might want to adjust the EI dosing slightly since your plants may not need as much since there is less of it... does that make sense.

Or you could try to decrease the light duration or completely turn the lights off for a few days. Don't rip out the glosso or start over... your tank looks great, it just needs some fine tuning.

Good luck

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try adding some Amano shrimp and/ or SAE. They will clean the algae up. Remove the SAE when they get too big and aggressive. It's less expensive then the power head. You might need to crank the CO2 up gradually and your otos will probably adjust accordingly.

Have you tried adding Excel or spot treating with Excel? How often are you changing your water and how much of it do you change? I sometimes have issue in my tank with the BBA and it usually happens after I do a massive trim in my tank. You might want to adjust the EI dosing slightly since your plants may not need as much since there is less of it... does that make sense.

Or you could try to decrease the light duration or completely turn the lights off for a few days. Don't rip out the glosso or start over... your tank looks great, it just needs some fine tuning.

Good luck
Thanks for the tips.

I got an SAE in another tank which I could add to this tank to see if it will help. I've just started adding the recommended daily dose excel. I do a water change once a week about 25-30%. I understand what you are saying about adjusting the EI dosing after a trim, that makes sense.

I've turned down the light intensity and duration in hopes it will help and since then I've seen progress. Thanks for your help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.