The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a 22g long iwagumi inspired shrimp tank today with the dry start method. Here's to hoping everything goes smoothly, which it probably won't. I'm still trying to figure out how much excel I should use in my spray bottle to prevent algea, we will see I guess.

Oh Yea, I will be adding flame moss to the rocks and stargrass just around the rocks when Mt shipment arrives.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
If you maintain moisture properly you shouldn't have to add Excel, as you will get algae if it's too wet. Don't get it so wet that the water goes above the substrate line. If you do get algae I would try and reduce the humidity rather than adding Excel. Only start using if it gets really bad I guess.
As for the scape, could you rotate the main stone to be vertical, as it isn't dominating enough for an Iwagumi right now in my opinion. Looks pretty good otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you maintain moisture properly you shouldn't have to add Excel, as you will get algae if it's too wet. Don't get it so wet that the water goes above the substrate line. If you do get algae I would try and reduce the humidity rather than adding Excel. Only start using if it gets really bad I guess.
As for the scape, could you rotate the main stone to be vertical, as it isn't dominating enough for an Iwagumi right now in my opinion. Looks pretty good otherwise.

Thanks for the advice! Right now I have no water in it besides what i sprayed with the water bottle. Do you recommend putting some in to just below the substrate line? I'll rotate the main rock and take some pics, appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
No no just keep spraying to whatever routine you doing like daily or whatever hahaha. Don't put extra water, I meant don't spray water to such an extent that it pools and stuff. No worries man, it's what the forum's for. You also want to make sure you get good gas exchange, so there is adequate CO2, and to help prevent mold and fungus. I would open up the film for a few minutes each day to do so, or you could peel it back in a corner a little after a few days. What substrate are you using?
Disclaimer: I've never done a dry-start before, so the information I'm giving is what I've picked up from seeing other people do it successfully.
Edit: Whoops accidentally quoted the post, does anyone know how to delete it. Sorry OP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No no just keep spraying to whatever routine you doing like daily or whatever hahaha. Don't put extra water, I meant don't spray water to such an extent that it pools and stuff. No worries man, it's what the forum's for. You also want to make sure you get good gas exchange, so there is adequate CO2, and to help prevent mold and fungus. I would open up the film for a few minutes each day to do so, or you could peel it back in a corner a little after a few days. What substrate are you using?
Disclaimer: I've never done a dry-start before, so the information I'm giving is what I've picked up from seeing other people do it successfully.
Edit: Whoops accidentally quoted the post, does anyone know how to delete it. Sorry OP.

I'm using Fluval Stratum as substrate and Planted+ 24/7 for lighting.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.