The Planted Tank Forum banner

Iwagumi 6.6 gallon

124813 160
Welcome to my first aquascape journal! Got inspired by pictures on the internet and decided to make an Iwagumi. Placing the stones wasn't easy. Order enough if you are going to make an Iwagumi

Have a look at my Youtube channel :)
>> www.youtube.com/nigelaquascaping
<<

Specs
Tank
Superfish home 25: 25 litre / 6,6 gallon
42 x 25 x 22,5 cm WxDxH
Lighting
[STRIKE]5 watt build in LED + desk lamp with 9 watt (870 Lumens)[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Desk lamp 15 watt 900 lumens[/STRIKE]
Desk lamp 20 watt 1200 lumens
Stones
5 Seiryu stones
Substrate
ADA Aqua Soil
Shrimp
10+ Red cherry
3 Amano
Fish
5 microrasbora kubotai
Plants
Micranthemum 'Monte carlo' in the front
Dwarf hair grass 'Eleocharis acicularis mini' in the back and between the stones.
Co2
Pressurized CO2 with a diffusor
Co2 checker edge 20mg/l
Heater
25 watt dennerle nano heater temperature 24
Filter
Eheim classic 150 external filter with lily pipes
Background
Black vinyl ADA screen

If a Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words, What Is a Video Worth?

Recent pictures

Golden ratio
1 focal point because it's a nano aquarium. The above 1/3 looks filled but if you go lower only the main stone reaches it a little.

Dry start
Day 1

Day 6 extra dwarf hair grass

Day 14

Day 21
Rescape

Day 26 with water

Day 51

Day 64

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hallo and welcome to the forum and to aquascaping :)

2 pots should be enough for this tank. You can separate the plant clumps even more. But if you want to do things fast you can also add another pot of hair grass.

I would say 3-4 amanos should be enough to deal with any rogue algae.

As a side note, the rock on the left side does not really fit as currently positioned. It seems to have a more porous texture on this side and detracts from the main rock. How does the other side look like ?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hallo and welcome to the forum and to aquascaping :)

2 pots should be enough for this tank. You can separate the plant clumps even more. But if you want to do things fast you can also add another pot of hair grass.

I would say 3-4 amanos should be enough to deal with any rogue algae.

As a side note, the rock on the left side does not really fit as currently positioned. It seems to have a more porous texture on this side and detracts from the main rock. How does the other side look like ?
Thanks for your feedback! I was limited with the stones that I received, because they only had 1 side that was okay. The other side has a strange white coat. This was probably the best setup I could make :frown2:. I liked the stone because of it's complex texture. Altough it is different than the main stone. The idea is that the flow is being placed left; meaning that the stone was their for a longer period of time and has his complex texture. The stone will be covered a little over time by plants so the contrast of distraction will be less I hope. I still agree with your points ;)

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Growth going pretty slow for my feelings (watching the tank everyday 24/7 lul)

Will growth going faster in the next weeks or stays stable?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Growth going pretty slow for my feelings (watching the tank everyday 24/7 lul)

Will growth going faster in the next weeks or stays stable?
you can break up the plants into even more smaller portions and spread it out. Just my opinion if you want to get your hands dirty again.

The growth will speed up later in the next weeks. The plants need a moment to get "settled in" or "get cozy" in the new environment. Once it sits there for 1-2 weeks and gets used to the new stable and consistent environment, it will then SWITCH GEARS into growing mode. week 3-4 you should see growth for sure.

I could remember how excited I was checking my dry start everyday. You have to give it time and patience. It will grow. The growth speed will ramp up.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's some good news to hear! I had to order my lily pipes so got an extra dwarf hair grass package :p. I made the clumps this big because of the advice tropica says (6-9 clumps per package). Yeah it's excited af lol! @IntotheWRX

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol if its too wet, then what happens when you flood the tank with water? MEGA WET? drowning wet.
Yeah was thinking the same but just read it somewhere. Some say that the plant loses it old leaves before new runners? Also saw that smaller clumps may be better for carpeting?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Should I put them out and split them in smaller parts or just wait if this works out?
Bumping for this last question as I split about half of my bunches into tiny bunches and am keen to know if I should just do the same thing. Although tbh, my clumps are sending out runners already without CO2 so far. Just ferts.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Should I put them out and split them in smaller parts or just wait if this works out?
well I would just leave them like it is for now since that's where they've been for a while I imagine right?

Another idea is, I get my DHG in vitro, so they come in a round container. I split them into 8 pieces or more, sometimes 12 depending on how big the actual in vitro cup is.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I would just leave them like it is for now since that's where they've been for a while I imagine right?

Another idea is, I get my DHG in vitro, so they come in a round container. I split them into 8 pieces or more, sometimes 12 depending on how big the actual in vitro cup is.
Yeah it has been 11 days now for the first vitro cup which I splitted into 11 parts. After that I bought another one to fill some gaps and splitted in 8 pieces (few days later). Tbh the pieces are still pretty big compared to pictures on internet. Guess I'm gonna moist it and be patience.

·
Banned
2,671 Posts
Yeah it has been 11 days now for the first vitro cup which I splitted into 11 parts. After that I bought another one to fill some gaps and splitted in 8 pieces (few days later). Tbh the pieces are still pretty big compared to pictures on internet. Guess I'm gonna moist it and be patience.
Sounds good, big clumps don't hurt it they just take slightly longer. long run it will / should be fine if your doing what your doing now.

·
Registered
990 Posts
you can break up the plants into even more smaller portions and spread it out. Just my opinion if you want to get your hands dirty again.

The growth will speed up later in the next weeks. The plants need a moment to get "settled in" or "get cozy" in the new environment. Once it sits there for 1-2 weeks and gets used to the new stable and consistent environment, it will then SWITCH GEARS into growing mode. week 3-4 you should see growth for sure.

I could remember how excited I was checking my dry start everyday. You have to give it time and patience. It will grow. The growth speed will ramp up.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
updated with pics 14 days going now

monte carlo has grown some

new desk lamp added in the back (not on picture)

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.