The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unfortunately just noticed this gap and am unsure if I had it in the past. I recently just moved tank about 1 1/2 month ago and forgot all about leveling the tank. I also noticed that water surface level is about a quarter inch higher in front of my tank. (36 gallon Bow front)

Below are pictures of the gaps in between tank and stand.

The the three cards in the picture kinda shows where the gap starts.

Left to right is where the gaps stop. Middle is being the highest point of the gap.

Rectangle Sky Wood Horizon Tints and shades

Sky Wood Crescent Tints and shades Astronomical object

Green Pet supply Wood Cabinetry Wood stain

What shall I do? I know I should be concerned. :eek:

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Depending on th type of material that furniture is made of it may not be suitable for that tank. The real problem is the sides not being directly under the edges of the tank.
No metal stand supports the middle of the tanks on them anyway. But rather each end
is supported. Safest would likely be to get the correct stand for that tank.
I would trust putting a 3/4 plyboard under it that went from end to end at least to the bevel all around the top of the chest of drawers(?) that it is on. But judging by the rest of the room, I don't know if that could be finished well enough to suit you in this
case. The 1/4 inch difference can be taken up by placing a 3 or 4" square of that same carpet under the front legs at the corners when you put the board under the tank.
That or find a piece of 1/4 plyboard and cut it just a bit smaller than the end of those legs so it sinks into and would be mostly hidden by the carpet. But cut small squares
and not one piece that is big enough for the whole furniture.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Most likely there is not enough center support for that amount of weight and it will bow over time.
On a new tank if you read the info stuck to the glass it says not to use furniture looks really nice just not practical

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Tank edges don't have to have full support for the full length. If the corners are all supported the glass in the middle is certainly not going to bow down. Tnaks are much like a box beam and very strong if supported at the right places.
I would go one of two ways on this. Either shim the tank corner on top of the table or if you feel the table is not quite true, you can shim the corners of the table. While doing this would be a good time to level it as well.
If you have one on hand , one of the cheap laser levels is a great way to level tanks and stands.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got a new stand for the 36 gallon bow front. :hihi: now there are not gaps! I still need to rest the stand shims cause the floor isn't leveled right. I'm going to observe for a few days before I break the shims off.

The previous stand was made by top fin also but it wasn't made for a bow front. I think the problem was that the tank was too short for the stand and started to push the wood inwards, because the tank did not rest on the most supported areas of the stand which would be the edges of the stand.

Plant Cabinetry Wood Waste container Waste containment

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting! That is great to know. Would I be looking on the inside seams or the outside and or both! The inside seams are covered with some black seam so I wouldn't be able to see.

I'm just worried I'm going to find 300+ pounds of water on my apt floor one day lol and I live on 2nd floor apt..... I'm more worried about tenant below and landlord haha!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just got a new stand for the 36 gallon bow front. :hihi: now there are not gaps! I still need to rest the stand shims cause the floor isn't leveled right. I'm going to observe for a few days before I break the shims off.

The previous stand was made by top fin also but it wasn't made for a bow front. I think the problem was that the tank was too short for the stand and started to push the wood inwards, because the tank did not rest on the most supported areas of the stand which would be the edges of the stand.

View attachment 305074
The carpet might settle a bit then you can relevel the stand and cut the shims, I like that style tank think they look good

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Are you aware of the tackstrip at the edge of carpeting? I can't see for sure but if you have the tank close to the baseboard, the rear will be setting on the tackstrip making the floor appear to be unlevel. Sometimes moving the tank forward an inch can get it off the strip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.