The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am pretty sure we got snails from some new plants and don't mind them as long as they don't take over. They are in a tank with some endlers and they don't seem to bother the sail at all.

The first one we saw we took out and salted him. Any idea what kind it was? It was a dark gray black color and very small still.

The second snail we've let get a little bigger and it seems so be a pink/gold color. Any idea what kind it is?

I would love it if we could just keep 1 without having to worry about getting tons of snails or do you think this second one we got will multiple like crazy?

Without having to buy some killer fish to put in there will just wiping the water line help getting rid of other snails? We've only seen 3 two with in a months time.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Most pest snails multiply like crazy. Please post some pics for a positive ID and accurate info on the particular type of snail you have.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have 100+ pond snails in my tank and I don't really mind. The dirtier your tank, the faster/more they will multiply due to how much detritus there is to eat. In a planted tank, there is usually a lot of this. But if they help by feeding on detritus then I say why not have them?

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you want snails, just keep the pop in check by fishing them out w traps once in awhile. I made the mistake of keeping one and even tho I never had algae issue, I couldn't see a single plant due to the snail swar,ing over every single plant

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
A single snail can spawn eggs and multiply so you will have to keep the population in check with feedings. Also if you notice the snails are devouring your plants you should remove all of them or buy 2 or 3 assassin snails to keep the population down.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Ok please don't laugh as I really know nothing about snails. Snails don't need a male to keep making babies?
Nope they reproduce asexualy (no need for a male/female interaction)

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Why not keep it? Unless your tank is planted and the snails are eating your plants, snails are a good addition to the tank. They eat left over food, detritus, algae...I mean what's not to love. Get to many in the tank, catch them easily and sell them, give them away, or dispatch them as needed. There's always someone with snail eating fish or that just want snails that will take them off your hands.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well in the 10 gal I have endlers and I really don't want any other fish in there that would eat the babies and in the 50 gal i've got plenty of plecos, ottos and cories and a black kuhli in there so they do great at keeping the tank clean.

I wouldn't mind having just 1 snail, it's if they take over that I don't want to mess with which i've had happen before years ago.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well in the 10 gal I have endlers and I really don't want any other fish in there that would eat the babies and in the 50 gal i've got plenty of plecos, ottos and cories and a black kuhli in there so they do great at keeping the tank clean.

I wouldn't mind having just 1 snail, it's if they take over that I don't want to mess with which i've had happen before years ago.
Most species of pest snails are asexual reproducers. This means that you can never have 'just 1' snail. Nerite snails (and some others) require both a male and a female, but chances are good your snail is either a pond snail or a bladder snail, which are very difficult to get rid of once they are established in your tank. In fact, depending on how long the snail you have has been in your tank, it may already be too late to get rid of. You can control them with Assasin Snails or with snail-eating loaches such as YoYo Loaches, Chain Loaches (Sidthimunki), or Angelica Loaches.

If you want to avoid snails in the future, soak your plants before you add them to your tank; chances are pretty good that is how your snail got in your tank. I use a dip that has about a gallon of water and as much aquarium salt as I can dissolve into it. Others here on the forum use a bleach or H2O2 dip. I prefer the salt method because I am very cautious about putting chemicals in my tank, but many users here report great success without any negative effects. You will probably want to search the forums for the right ratio to use when dipping your plants. Good luck!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Snails are easy to control. I have Red Rams Horn which are cool looking & do a super job cleaning. They don't harm my plants or my community fish. These type of snails, people will buy from you so they make for a fun hobby....

The dark gray or black round type snails I don't like so every time I see one of those, just squish in a paper towel keeps them at bay. Remove from your tank "Carefully" before you squish them, I use a pair of tweezers as carefully as possible, if they sense they are going to die, they release their eggs in or on your tank & then you'll have a ton more to deal with later down the road. I have just introduced some MTS's to my tank...... Hopefully they will work wonders on my substrate as these are the type that burrow down under & clean like little vacuum cleaners. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I like snails in a tank, but I prefer MTSs, nerites and apple/mystery (brigs) snails. I would not want pond or bladder snails as they eat plants and all my tanks are planted. If you get those you need some assassins to get rid of them. But if you don't mind the pond snails or the bladdder snails they are definitely nicer to look at than planaria and if you have the snails they will keep planaria under control.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The only problem with assassin snails is they take no prisoners, in other words........ They Kill all other snails & if you have some you like, for instance, my Red Rams Horns, they will kill those as well. But if you want a tank with no snails except for assassins, that's the route to go.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Not true. They will not kill nerites and adults apple/mystery snails.

·
Registered
868 Posts
What is wrong with pond snails and bladder snails? The only snails I ever had an issue with was those darn trumpet snails - I once had a tan SO bad that at night you couldn't see through them on the walls and the snails literally became the gravel. It was obnoxious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts