The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!!

I have a heap of Eggs from a breeding pair of German Blue Rams.
This is the first time I've had fish lay eggs in my tank and need some input for the best way to ensure the eggs first of all remain uneaten by the other fish and how to ensure they hatch and survive.

Currently, the eggs which are in a dug out pit within the tank's gravel, are being guarded/protected by the male ram in my 72 gallon moderately planted tank. And if I am not mistaken these Rams can make good parents and help raise the fry. (unlike the live bearing fish that tend to eat their young)

The tank is not heavily populated, but its inhabitants include 1 botia and 1 two inch clown loach, 1 cardinal and 1 lemon tetra, 1 baby guppy, 1 baby balloon molly.

If at all possible I'd really like to leave the eggs alone and hope the fry would be ok in the tank, but I am open to moving a few fish to another tank, e.g., botia or loach to ensure the safety......

Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
All I can say is good luck - my rams eat every batch of eggs, on about the second day...I hope you have better luck!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
All I can say is good luck - my rams eat every batch of eggs, on about the second day...I hope you have better luck!
feed them more live food =] and frequently, but small portions.

also my tetras eat fish eggs, especially my neons not sure about what you have but I doubt they would pass up the chance if the male and female wonder away from their eggs. wish you the best of luck, and i would move them with there eggs to a tank where they are alone if you want to breed them

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I've thought about setting up a tank just for the rams, but I've been busy with other things. Maybe soon! I sit & watch the rams eat the eggs, so far the cardinals & black tetras I have won't go anywhere near the ram's favorite spot to lay eggs. They keep laying on a rock, and I've thought about putting a smaller rock right on top of it, so I could remove the eggs to a 10g when the nibbling starts (when I get a 10g).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 40 gallon tank with 4 GBR and I always have fry. They sometimes make it to the swimming stage but seem to disappear and never make it to full grown size. I think it's because there are other fish in the tank besides the GBR that might be eating them. I would suggest just transferring the rock into another tank so that the fry won't get eaten. I have heard you are suppose to use methylene blue in the tank as well. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.