The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have been on another site and someone on there suggested that you guys will be able to help me ID these plants for me. I am extremely new to real plants and i seem to be hitting a brick wall! I bought these plants from my lfs but im starting to think that they are not really aquatic plants as i cant find them anywhere!
plz someone hellllpp me :tongue:

this one has got little mini pine cone thingies falling off?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
That first one looks like baby tears to me (Hemianthus micranthemoides), which is fully aquatic. The second one looks like a tree I have growing in my front yard, and that third one doesn't look familiar to me at all.

I hope that helps?

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I agree with Church on #1. #2 is probably a Syngonium sp., not aquatic at all. It would grow well if just the roots are in the water, but not the entire plant.

#3 looks a lot like an Alternanthera ficoidea I have growing outside right now. Some Alternantheras are aquatic, but not this one. I'm not positive about that one, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you everybody for your replies :smile:

well it looks like my fears are confirmed then, why oh why do they sell these plants to you?and more importantly how do they get away with it?

so i think im gonna have to rethink my tank (again), im going to get those plants out and put some others in, i might get a wall of valis and some moss?any ideas for a newbie?i like the natural look but i think i need something easy to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
well it looks like my fears are confirmed then, why oh why do they sell these plants to you?and more importantly how do they get away with it?
Was this a rhetorical question? Stores sell these plants to you either because a) they don't know better or b) they do know, and just want to make a buck off you

They can get away with it because they simply don't care, or not enough people complain. Even if enough people complain, there is a lack of initiative to do anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts