The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always thought it would be cool to backlight an aquarium. i want to somehow make the background 'glow,' emulating a sunrise/sunset sky. the problem is that, well, i've thought about a whole bunch of (cheap) ways to do this, but none of them worked in my head; the lighting would either be too bright, or not diffused enough for a 'glowing' look.

so i wanted to ask if anyone has ever tried doing this, or if anyone smarter than me can think of a way to accomplish this

·
Registered
420 Posts
Do you listen to Dan the Automator, by chance?

I have been thinking of a way to do this, myself.

I am planning on using LEDs.
I got the idea from Walgreens (Drug Store/Convenience Store) and I saw a small bulb that is sold as a replacement bulb for "night lights"

Inside the bulb, is actually 4 small LED's. and they are not blinding bright, but give off a really nice glow....

I am trying to think of a way to make a housing for it, so I can stick in in my hood.............

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
try putting a florescent tube light along the bottom rear of your tank.
the light will reflect off the water surface back down into your tank.
it will also give you that glowing horizon and plant shadow effect
you may want without any glare. If your gravel is not deep enough
to hide the bulb along the outside glass, simply take a thin band of
black plastic to keep you from seeing the exposed bulb up front.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yoko - no sorry, never heard of him =p. and i've thought about LED's too, i like how they are diffused. but LED's are generally pinpoint lights and they wouldn't light up the entire back of an aquarium evenly. but if you find some magic method to doit, please tell me!

spypet - i've thought of that as well, and that does make a very nice effect, but the effect i'm looking for is more of an evenly - distributed light, as if the entire back of the aquarium is glowing. it's more like the western sky of a sunrise, or the eastern sky of a sunset.

so far the best idea i've come up with is to sandblast the back of the tank, and then put a spotlight a few meters behind the tank, so that the light area covers the back of the tank. but that would require a few meters of clearance behind the tank, plus sandblasted glass. theres gotta be an easy way of doing this.

i want to do this because for my next project (whenever i have time and money), i want to recreate some dramatic landscape in an aquarium, so i can take pictures of it (cos im a foto whore =p). so i want to create the most ideal lighting situations for it.

just imagine - ansel adams, but with giant fishes in the sky. how surreal!

·
Registered
420 Posts
ahhaah yah I hear ya!! I am trying to set up the ~dramatic lighting~ for a paludarium/ terrarium type of tank.

I will try to take pics of that "night light" I am talking about.

I stuck that bulb in the hood of small little "corner" bookend tank, which actually uses incadescent bulb.

But it's cool, coz it's not all BLUE like most "moon lighting"

it's like ahh, nice :biggrin:

It's "Handsome Boy Modelling School" haha
"Lovage: Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By" is one of my favorite albums :icon_lol:

·
Registered
420 Posts
W-w-wait a min.. nevermind... my idea is not no "sunrise" :icon_lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dan Nakamura is also the genius behind Dr Octagon, Deltron and the Gorrilaz, among others.

It's Over Now feat. Kool Keith off A Much Better Tomorrow - best. track. ever.

Anyway, back on topic, ADA has some mist tanks that have a frosted back. You can duplicate that on any tank buy using some glass etching paste stuff from the craft store. It would work well to diffuse the background of an iwagumi tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts