The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe the algae problem I was having a few months ago has subsided. Actually it seems it is disappearing at a fast rate. I have 2 Ottos and either they are doing an exceptional job or the algae is dieing off. My parameters are 25 gallon, AM 0, Ni 0 and Na 10-20. There is some brown algae on the filter inlet, motor, etc. and green growth on a flat rock near the light. I had several areas on the substrate that had growth last week but has disappeared. I added 2 new ferns about 3 weeks ago. What is happening to it? Will my Ottos have enough to sustain or do I need to supplement more with wafers, etc.?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Sometimes the fish are eating it and sometimes the algae seems to grow poorly then the fish eat it. I think.

The otos will do fine even with no apparent algae as they eat the microscopic film that grows on everything in the tank. You could put a slice of zucchini or cucumber in once a week to supplement. My otos are only interested in it after the veggie has been in the tank for a day or so and grown a nice layer of biofilm. I skewer the veggie, a fork or brief microwaving so it sinks works as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.