The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my daphnia tanks outside, lots of daphnia made it through the winter. I will have a few bags of daphnia at the next meeting for you if you want some. Or if you want them sooner, give me a call. I also have too many Marmorkrebs if you want some. Remember, they eat plants.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
How can you differentiate between daphnia, daphnia magna, rotifers, moina, etc? or does it matter? I've been googling images of them and comparing photos but it's not much help. I've been harvesting mosquito larvae for the last 7 weeks and finding lots of copepods in the mix. They looked red at first but now seem to be changing color. I'm trying to isolate them for fry/juvies and future fry/juvies, as they're not a significant food source for adult fish. I had put a few into a small, unheated (~68 degree water), unfiltered 2 gallon tank and have been tossing them an occasional piece of kale. Just had a close up look today under bright light and looks like the population has increased to several hundred. Are they just going to keep multiplying? Will I need a larger tank? Are they like certain fish in that they become stunted? stop breeding? cannibalize each other? ??? I would like a large enough self-sustaining colony to see me thru next Winter's need for fry/juvie food. Any tips? Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's a great thread on the different types of water bugs you might encounter. I think a "live foods" session would be a great subject for a CAS meeting.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...rates/40061-whats-bug-how-recognize-them.html

FWIW, copepods are everywhere. I think they're the one critter you can expect to find in just about any body of water, anywhere in the world. I grabbed two samples of water from the neighborhood pond a few weeks ago, hoping to start a culture of paramecium. What did I get instead? Copepods.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ceriodaphnia are small round flat and clear when put through a light. Daphnia are just larger Ceriodaphnia, and Daphnia Magna live up to their name. You can grow these on your window seal in a jar as long as you can keep a good population of algae growing. Ceriodaphnia are hypersensitive to water chemisty

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here's a great thread on the different types of water bugs you might encounter. I think a "live foods" session would be a great subject for a CAS meeting.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...rates/40061-whats-bug-how-recognize-them.html

FWIW, copepods are everywhere. I think they're the one critter you can expect to find in just about any body of water, anywhere in the world. I grabbed two samples of water from the neighborhood pond a few weeks ago, hoping to start a culture of paramecium. What did I get instead? Copepods.
Thanks for the link, that's an incredible thread. I'm only up to page 8 (of 25). I never would have imagined how many different micro-organisms survive in water. Even more surprising is that most of the posts deal with organisms that aquarists did not intentionally add to their tanks!

Reactions: MCSLABS
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.