The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reviewed threads on hair algae and staghorn algae, but from the pictures neither of those look to be what I have. So I am submitting these photos to get the ideas of other forum members to help diagnose my issue.

Tank specs: 55g tall, 2x65w 10K run for 8hrs, pressurized CO2 with drop checker showing green, no ferts being added...only root tabs used.

Currently I have only 1 bulb in the light fixture turned on and my co2 bottle is empty. I was hoping that cutting off the co2 and dropping the light output would help to curb this algae outbreak, but it seems bound to take over.

Weekly 10% water changes using tap water and I manually remove as much as I can of the stuff. A week later and it's full blown.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's 3-4 kinds of algae, and the problem is that you aren't dosing. Dropping the light out helps, but what you need to do is an overhaul. Remove anything covered in algae, anything with a few spots you can treat with bleach, peroxide or excel baths depending on the species.

After the overhaul, get ferts and CO2 in right away. The root tabs aren't going to cut it with that relatively inert substrate (fluorite black sand? eco-complete?). Pull plenty of water changes in the first week; 50% every couple of days, dose with excel.

Don't forget to keep your filter clean during the restart.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
357 Posts
Have you tried a blackout? Covering the tank with a black garbage bag and going two or three (maybe four...) days without any light at all?

That should kill most of the algae w/o harming your plants.

Looks like a beautiful tank. It seems a shame to me to tear it down except as a last resort.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Before you do anything to kill it you need to remove as much of it as possible. I'd personally remove all the plants from the tank, trim off the covered leaves, do a bleach or H2O2 dip on the remaining leaves and replant. Then refill your CO2 and start EI dosing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I certainly appreciate the advice so far. I picked up some RO water today as I thought that it's possible the tap water could be adding to the problem. I will likely continue with tap water unless I can prove the tap has unwanted components (ie high phosphates).

I believe that removing the decor/plants and going through a bleach bath might be a worthwhile course of action. I plan on doing a water change tonight and will remove as much manually as I can. Then over the weekend proceed with the bleach bath. The algae seems to be primarily on my holey rock and java fern. So removing the large wood and rock are necessary.

I will also look into getting ferts so that I can begin a dosing regime. I have researched quite a bit on the topic, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
High PO4 doesn't cause algae when it's in proper balance with other nutrients. I dose 1.5-2ppm PO4 a week plus what comes in through food, and I don't have algae problems. If I stop dosing PO4, I get GSA problems. This is a pretty common observance. Your problem is not enough nutrients, not too much.

-Philosophos

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.