The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you two... I have a 90g tank sitting in my basement, so I was throwing around the idea of making it a planted tank, and found this site..

I have never done one before, and Ive never been really into fresh water fish, but the care level is so much less then my Reef.

What to do, what to do... :icon_eek:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL welcome Crow. Haha I don't know about the care level I find I spend alot more time on my planted tank than I ever spent on my reef tank.
Yeah now that I am doing a little more research, once you get the tank the way you want it, you have to cut the plants back to keep it looking that way... Dang! and I hate cutting the grass... :p

·
Registered
763 Posts
The thing I like most about it as opposed to fish only tank is the exact thing I liked about reef tanks...everytime I look in the tank I find something new...new growth new snails haha new algae...always something

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Yeah now that I am doing a little more research, once you get the tank the way you want it, you have to cut the plants back to keep it looking that way... Dang! and I hate cutting the grass... :p
As your research continues I believe you will find you can build a tank that will need the amount of maintenance you have designed into it.

My 40 (sig line link) :
Lighting is on a timer
Quarterly I may move/remove a baby plant.
Quarterly I cull some snails, food in a net overnight, remove next am.
I do 1X wk water change.
2Xs a month I dose.
I don't trim at all.
I feed every other day. with current population levels. When it was just shrimp & snails I feed once a wk.

I picked low light plants, used MTS substrate, all fauna are algae eaters that live in basically the same water perimeters naturally. The flora & fauna are all pretty much from Sri Lanka or other similar bio type from S.E. Asia.

I built a 30gl mini reef in 1985 (pre-internet) from articles in TFH, Aquarium magazines and Library research (yes, the place with the books). I had clowns (Amphiprion percale) spawn in 1986. My point being true success in this hobby comes from research & planning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.