The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea unfortunately it's completely unusable without that cover.

I was really hoping to get started on my first journal here today since I talk a lot but have no tanks heh.
Guess the 40b journal is gonna have to wait.

Good news though the 100 par at 15" nuke with a controller arrived ship shape.
I have dreams of clado cities with schools colleges etc. And then I get to kill them like a little kid burning ants.
Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yea unfortunately it's completely unusable without that cover.

I was really hoping to get started on my first journal here today since I talk a lot but have no tanks heh.

Well just go with the thinking of everything happens for a reason :icon_surp Maybe you'll change your mind on your tank setup/layout/scape into something you never thought of...actually had that happen to me with my 20L while I was waiting on filters.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well seller has till tomorrow to answer. Should I ask for my money back? Keep in mind this renders the entire filter useless unless I feel like electrifying my tank. This part can't be bought bummer.

I can diy plug it or replace it with clear tubing of some sort.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem is I'd have to pay shipping. I'm sure he could. The only reason I got.one with uv is because it has black trays. I wasn't even going to get uv because I didn't want it killing off my bacteria but why pay 60 for an inline uv when you can pay 70 for a filter with uv.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The UV dosn't kill off denitrifying bacteria, maybe water born algae but i can't see much else given the flow rate.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would contact the seller and see if he can make it right, in fact he better make it right, hopefully you got it from fleabay and used paypal, I am sure if you contacted sunsun directly you could get the part, and BB is far more uv tolerant than the bad stuff and algae and if you actually look the light really doesn't go to the filter pads it pretty much stays in the up-take flow tube

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea that's what I meant about having black trays so the uv wouldn't get in. As far as I know sunsun isn't a company anymore.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
...but why pay 60 for an inline uv when you can pay 70 for a filter with uv.
The UV on the sunsun can't do what an inline 36w UV can for example. Apart from avoiding green water, the sunsun has little to no use in killing parasites, viruses or pathogens because the light is just too weak, and the flow too strong.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The UV on the sunsun can't do what an inline 36w UV can for example. Apart from avoiding green water, the sunsun has little to no use in killing parasites, viruses or pathogens because the light is just too weak, and the flow too strong.
No, a 9w UV won't do the same as a 36w but they aren't priced the same either. UV is one of the things where bigger is better but some is better than none.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's a real bummer. When I was buying a new canister recently I came close to buying one with a built in UV sterilizer but ended up going with a G3 instead, I hadn't even considered how crappy it would be to accidentally break the UV bulb shield when cleaning and suddenly find myself with an unusable filter.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
No, a 9w UV won't do the same as a 36w but they aren't priced the same either. UV is one of the things where bigger is better but some is better than none.
All it's going to do is avoid "some" green water. In this case none would be the same. Can you tell I'm not a fan of the sunsun uv filters ? I just think they're a marketing gimmic/ploy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As long as its pushing 400 gph and has 4 trays I can't complain at 70 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well great I popped open the impeller cover and the impeller shaft is broken as well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts