The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I diceded to start another thread because the other one got a little garbled and I have removed a lot of the pictures.

Here is a link to that thread. It will have more of the building details than this thread will have.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/28182-start-my-130ish-gallon-corner-setup.html

A broken hand, starting a second job, and 14 months worth of work and thought, it's done, well pretty dang close.

Ok, on to the good stuff :)

The last time I calculated the size, I think it was around 110-120 gallons. I need to swap out my XP3 that I was running the accesories with. It just doesn't have enough umph. I'm thinking about another FX5 or just an Eheim 1262.

Here are some of the specs on it:
Fluval FX5 x2?
Hydor 300w inline heaters x2
Jebo 18w UV (Hey, it works pretty well)
5lb CO2 setup
2" CO2 reactor
AH supply lights (55w x2, 96w, 55w, and a 13w)

Here are some pics. My website is being goofy, and when I get home today I'll be fixing it. Anyways, here is what I can show you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very cool so far! I especially like your lighting rig.

Questions:

Is there going to be glass or plexi separating the lighting from the water's surface? It looks rather precarious with the ballasts and outlet hanging over the tank.

4th-to-last pic; is that a line from an RO unit?

3rd-to-last pic; can you explain your closed loop schematic? It kind of looks like your heaters run tandem on the same line but I can't tell.

Keep up the AWESOME work.

-Nate

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's going to be an open top. There are a set of PVC clips I need to get yet for the "lighting bracket". It will make things better ;) But keep in mind, that PVC is 1.5" so there is some gurth there, and the shape of everything for the most part will prevent it from falling in. It's just like any open top light.....

No, I just used low pressure nylon water line for my CO2

Flow goes as follows for the acc. side:
Filter > top of UV > bottom of UV > bottom of heaters (which are running in parallel) > top of heaters > top of reactor > bottom of reacator > fill valve > undergravel jets (my version of them at least)...... All this is why my XP3 really can't swing this, plus my jets are too big :)

Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'd be less worried about the light unit falling in than evaporation all over your electronics.

Do you think having both heaters run parallel on one line would circulate heat more efficiently than heating two separate loops?

Any ideas yet on how your going to plant it?

-Nate

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll be safe with the evaporation, but we'll have to see.

i figured this was the lesser of two evils. I was just going to get one, but then I was going to be working it to death. basically, I was just trying to lighten the load.

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
I was looking forward to this! Great job. I am glad you finished your design.

The lighting setup is innovative, makes it easy to hide/route the cables!

When you have nothing else to do :tongue: maybe you can give us a little cost breakdown for building your own tank.

Looking good!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HA! With all my trial and error... I promised myself that I would NEVER keep track as to how much I spent. Some day maybe I'll figure out a total if I had done everything right the first time.

I tried the FX5 on the "life support" circuit. It worked perfectly, too bad I have to order another one for the main filtration.

I lucked out with Lesco. There is one about 10min. from where I live. I have some SMS Charcoal coming in 2 weeks at $17 per bag.

*** I love PVC now. Brings back the fond memories of Legos :icon_smil

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After some misshaps with the oak veener, I decided to go with some "Flec-stone" paint. A couple of cans worth ;) I stained the 100% red oak, with a red oak stain, followed up by two coats of polycrylic (It's some neat stuff).

Serriously, I will never try and total this all out(I really don't want to know). There was a fair amount of trial and error, and a TON of learning. Am I happy with the outcome? You bet. I love it and it's not even inside yet. Would I do it again.... maybe.

What I can tell you is:
AH lights $310
Fluval FX5 $220 x2
Co2 $150ish
Glass $250ish
Epoxy $120
= $1050 for really a lot of nothing ;)
COUNTLESS (And I really mean countless) trips to Menards

I'm going to stop there......... :fish:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
some small 12v fans could help you alleviate any concerns with condensation on the ballasts, and also keep them a bit cooler. Very easy to rig up, cheap, and prob worth every cent of protection.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I've thought about that. I brought it inside yesterday (Ugh). Even with all of my trial runs with no issues.... I lost about 5 gallons on the carpet. Thank god for wet vacs:icon_roll I'll see how the heat goes this week. Other than some bulkhead issues and some tired stupidity, she's purring away.

I just ordered my other FX5. If anyone is interested in one of them, the best prices I have seen are on Ebay right now. $198 shipped. You cannot beat that filter for that price. SO much media, SO much water, So much power :cool:

One more week until Lesco gets my SMS.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My stupid ISP is giving me some serrious issues lately, so that is the reason all my pics are down. Anyways, on to my update :)

I broke down and decided to get Eco-Complete instead of SMS. I had Eco in my old tank, I knew what to expect, and I didn't want to have to worry if I had made the right decision getting the SMS. 10 bags later I now have my old plants plants in the new tank. The LFS I got some of it from cut me a slight deal on it which was cool. Living Art Aquarium (Madison, WI) gets a BIG thumbs up from me! I did manage to buy out all of the Eco in the Madison area though, we have a small amount of cool fish stores around here.

I'm glad I got the Eco (Trying not to look at the checking account though), my gravel jets would have blown that SMS all over the place if it's as light as I here.

The cool LFS has a nice supply of Congo Tetras (Planning on a school of those along with a small family of Clown Loaches),which is cool because they are the only ones around here with those.

Getting there, slowly, but eventually:confused:

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
I have an FX5 which I thought was just about the best filter out there for my 150 until I got a 180 and purchased an EHEIM 2260. There is no comparison. They run about the same about of money with one exception, the eheim doesnt come with any filter media and hold 18 liters!

there is absolutely no comparison between the two, the eheim kicks its ass! Two bad I did see this before you purchased the FX5's..

Your tank is INCREDIBLE!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.