The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - in college, circa '99-2001, I worked up from cleaning kennels at a pet store to managing the aquarium department. My roommate and I got pretty into aquariums, dabbling in planted tanks, and I had a 40 gallon reef. Adulting and horses have kept me away for the last 20 years. However, now with covid and working remotely, I've decided to hop back into aquariums. I've spent the last few months getting back up to speed. I remember the Fish Geeks and Aquaria Central forums from back in the day. I got my hands on an old AGA 125 gallon that I planted this morning, and I've also got 3 of the Fluval Flex tanks - a 32 and 2 of the 15 gallon tanks. Right now I just have a few rummies, cories and ottos that will be moving into the 125 which will be more or less a South American tank, though I really want a school of Congo tetras. Then the 32 will get some scaping work and get some striata loaches and maybe some gouramis and rasborahs. One of the 15's will be a paludarium/betta palace and the other is undetermined. Of course I'm also scheming on a 4-ft tank, but maybe for shell dwellers and N. Brichardii cichlids, so not as much with the plants. My husband didn't know me in my previous fish phase, but he's used to my weird interests and manias, and doesn't seem to care as long as I keep it to the basement.

Anyway, I'm glad to find this forum as it's hard to have a discussion in the FB groups or Reddit, IMO. I guess that makes me old school! :D

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I used to do a basement, back when we lived in upstate NY....then I took a 15+ year haitus from the hobby as we did other interesting things with our life out of country. Covid has us back in the USA and I fired up a fishroom. I converted a 3x8 closet with 6' folding doors as a mini fish room. Allows me to hid it when necessary. Easier to enjoy than a trek down the basement (which I don't have in my desert home).

key to my succss with multiple tanks this time was plumbing them all up for automatic water changes... no buckets and hoses in the house (well a buck for plant trimmings when I'm doing that).obviously my setup is very compact as I used the same size tanks throughout so that it all fits in the same racks.... But you could do the same with a few odd shaped tanks as well.

Plant Architecture Wood Shade Gas

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a nice looking system you have there. :D I failed to mention that the basement is my telework space and is a daylight basement that walks out to the back yard. I can drain water change water directly outside, so water changes should be pretty easy and help water the flower beds too. The 125 is right behind my desk, so I'll get lots of time with my fish!

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
That's a nice looking system you have there. :D I failed to mention that the basement is my telework space and is a daylight basement that walks out to the back yard. I can drain water change water directly outside, so water changes should be pretty easy and help water the flower beds too. The 125 is right behind my desk, so I'll get lots of time with my fish!
That's awesome.. Sounds very nice. (by contrast, my former basement fishroom was a dungeon..) yeah, you'll get lots of opportunities to appreciate the fish while you are down there. I drain my water out to my fruit trees myself. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts