The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure of the type of algae or even if these two are the same, but I trimmed back 95% and have been overdosing seachem excel, lights cut from 8 to 6 hours. It back though and I'm really frustrated now. My parameters are fine and fish and plants are well. I don't over feed, and even added a power head for more circulation. I want to stay away from hydrogen peroxide and just don't know what to do.... Thanks for the tips in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I'll try that. Just wish I knew what was causing this bc I'm scared it's just going to come back again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, but how do I pinpoint what's wrong to prevent it from returning? Is this a deficiency somewhere?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If your plants are growing well and not showing any deficiencies, then no, you don't have a deficiency.

I think people tend to forget that algae is just another plant... just happens to be one that can travel through the air in "spores" so show up "spontaneously," and under favorable conditions become invasive and choke out other plants, which is the reason we end up "going to war" with it in planted tanks.

Personally, as long as algae isn't taking over, I could care less if my tanks have a bit here and there.

Many planted tankers do take whatever measures it takes to try and eradicate every spot they can find, however.

If the algae on your filter output and driftwood are really bothering you, then I'd recommend pulling those out of the tank, manually cleaning off what you can, and then soaking them in a bucket with either a bleach or Excel solution to kill off the remainder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts